WWYD: Bonus Day?

Our trip is Nov 29-Dec 5. SWA just changed our flight so now we land at 12:20 pm on Sunday 11/29. We have an “extra day” with our tickets from UT and I am trying to decide if we use it the day we arrive or the day we depart. Our departing flight is at 4:20 pm on Saturday 12/5. Would you head straight to parks on arrival day or do parks the morning before departing?

I am thinking that we may do DHS if we did 11/29, if you think we could arrive by 2 pm? We are renting a car at MCO. We already have two other DHS days planned that week (12/1 and 12/3) so not a deal-breaker if not by 2 pm. May be worth heading in late on Sunday 11/29 for the EOD shorter waits? It’s our favorite park so we would be ok going three times lol. We have a split stay and will be at AKL at this time. Planning to do AKL Monday 11/30.

If we did a park day on departure day 12/5 we would probably just make the call while there as to which park we want to end on. Right now our last full day is Friday 12/4 at MK. I like the idea of ending at MK. Not sure we would want to go back to MK the very next day just for the morning but perhaps. We are staying at Grand Floridian for the second half of our stay so MK would be the convenient choice. I kind of like the idea of having brunch and touring around Saturday before the flight rather than the rush of a park. WWYD?

1 Like

If you land at 12:20 you won’t be to resort until between 1:30 and 2:30, and then to park. For minimal stress and disappointment figure arrival at park by 3:30.

With reduced hours, if I were going to use a ticket on arrival day, your best bet would be Epcot. Keep in mind that Epcot is pretty insane on weekend days, so if you do it you should adjust your expectations accordingly,.

Personally, with arrival that late in the day and short park hours I would skip it and do something else at the resort or DS (also insane on weekends, though). I would most be interested in having a nice TS dinner and a relaxing evening to prep to hit it hard in the morning.

3 Likes

Thanks for managing my expectations on MCO-WDW bc we have never flown so wasn’t sure with that. What time would you recommend departing WDW for a 4:20 pm departure flight (Saturday)? I am playing with touring plans for both days to compare.

You’re not using DME I presume? DME will pick up 3 hours ahead. That always feels excessive, and in current times with airport crowds being lower, it probably is. That said, I would always prefer to arrive to the airport early than to be stressing that I’m running late. Last January I was using DME and there was some screwup and I didn’t end up leaving the resort - in a taxi on their dime - until about 90 minutes before my flight IIRC. That was waaaaaay too close and I arrived at the gate just in time for boarding. I wouldn’t leave less than 2 hours, and would probably (me being me) edge toward 2.5 hrs to be safe.

Others who drive themselves can probably provide better guidance on this, but the one time I did have a rental that was my goal.

1 Like

Perfect, thanks. Yes we are renting a car and DH prefers to be extra early so this is helpful.

1 Like

For years, I’ve rented a car when arriving at MCO & returned it there when departing. 2 hours is pretty spot on. Takes about 20 minutes to get to MCO, 15 minutes to return the car (often less - since it’s usually just leave the keys in the car & walk away), 1 hour to check in / drop off bags and through security. That leaves about a 30 minute cushion to wait.

FYI - 12/5 is Walt’s birthday! They don’t do anything significant to celebrate, but IMHO it’s kinda nice to be there acknowledge it.

1 Like

We arrive around at MCO around11:45, that same day! I plan on that being an Epcot day. I have another.
Edit: I JUST checked SW. I arrive at 1 now! They pushed my flipping flight back :exploding_head:

1 Like

I would go back to AK on your last day, if you want to use that extra ticket. You can have a really nice morning there before leaving for the airport. But … I love AK! I would always choose another day or 1/2 day there!

1 Like

Thanks for the airport info and I had no idea about Walt’s bday!! Very cool!

1 Like

ahhhh I am so sorry! Our flight home was bumped to an earlier departure so it looks like we will definitely be there on Sunday!!

1 Like