WORSE? - Trip Report October 11-19

Hmmmm…”Well, besides that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?”

10 Likes

What problem are you having with the magic bands? I recently had to make a number of phone calls to Disney IT when I couldn’t get an order to go through and one thing they mentioned is that the address you have on your account has to be exactly the same as the address on the credit card you’re using. Like, if your credit card has St. and you’ve typed street it won’t go through.

1 Like

Just to confirm one point- our Dining plan was activated by our on-line check in. We ate at noonish and they had the DP in the system then — and we didn’t show up at hotel in person until 2 pm.

3 Likes

My DH would never have asked you to move, but that could have been him parking and looking like a completely able bodied person. He has terrible problems with his knees and he can do short spurts but the long haul walking of WDW has him in an ECV. He hates using them because he fears this is how people think of him and is embarrassed. My mother won’t come at all for the same reason. Fear of being judged.

That said, I’m sorry everything was so absolutely wonky for you. I can’t even imagine the stress of what you went through.

6 Likes

Same. From time to time I have to use an ECV so I can keep looking like an able-bodied person. Or I could just be stupid and keep going until my family has to go fetch a wheelchair, which I have also done.

3 Likes

did you ask to do this before you checked out or when you checked into the new spot? Please provide a few more details; i have my first split stay coming up in February and may need to utilize this tip!! thanks so much!! sorry you had such a rough MDE/MagicBand/IT portion of the trip… that is terrible!

I’m so sorry to read about your terrible, unmagical experiences.

Disney needs to comp you something. Talk to guest services.

Earlier this year, we were staying at a Hampton Inn for two nights. One day, we found water leaking from the ceiling. I nicely made my observations known to the front desk. They assured me it was air conditioning condensate. Without us asking, the clerk at the desk compensated us one night ($150+ tax) free and moved us to another room.

I would expect so much more compensation from Disney for the inconveniences you described that made your trip very unmagical. I’m appalled they didn’t even pixie dust you along the way for each inconvenience. Like others said, I wouldn’t want a certain percent off or a voucher for a future visit, unless you live close. We live in California. If I were you, I want to be compensated cold, hard cash! Or I could be compensated by a fully paid trip to DLC! :wink:

4 Likes

Is there a tactic to use while you are onsite? Should she have requested the resort manager or overseeing director? I understand wanting the compensation however I’d just want it fixed ASAP so it doesn’t ruin my trip. Working with level 1 people who aren’t well trained, I’d give them 15 minutes and tell them to stop.

We all know Disney IT has serious issues. But these IT issues are abhorent because almost all of their vacation experience was dependent on their Magic Bands and so much of the vacation time was spent worrying what would go wrong next, standing in line trying to resolve the issues, or trying to resolve the issues. The CMs’ attitudes did not help smooth things over either. The CMs did fix the immediate issues but couldn’t foresee the future issues.

During the second round of issues, I would have insisted on speaking to a manager to ask for a resolution and some compensation for all the hassle and wasted time, maybe a free meal at the Poly somewhere. Then, I would have made it clear that any further IT issues will require further compensation, such as reimbursement for nights on the current stay or the entire dining plan.

If I was the OP, I would write the above issues in a more concise manner and call customer service explaining that the vacation was not magical at all because of the continuous IT issues, the CMs’ attitudes, the lost time… listing the specific issues. Then, I would ask for a specific compensation.

2 Likes

@linsalt I just saw a post on chat by @Pixie_Dusted where she said she was given a free night without asking when she got a dirty room upon check in. You should get something.

2 Likes

(RANT) At this point in the trip we were all getting tired being run into by people on ECVs. At one point I was asked to move from where I was standing because the person wanted to parked their ECV there, only to watch them dismount and walk away as fast as any able bodied person could. I don’t think it is unreasonable to say that a significant number of the ECVs are being used for convenience and not a disability.

While I’m very sorry that your trip was such a headache, I think this comment is grossly unfair. I’m not sure what is “convenient” about using an ECV in a place where people complain so much about people in ECVs and tend to vilify their intentions and question whether or not they even need to use them. I’m going next week with a child in a wheelchair and I’m already trying to steel myself against all the rudeness I’m sure we’ll encounter from people making judgements along these lines.

9 Likes

This isn’t unique to Disney. My wife has a degenerative genetic disorder that requires an ECV, and we have a running joke that she has a choice each day - do her hair and makeup and get scoffed at, or leave them off and get looks of sympathy. She’s a relatively petite, good looking woman (if I do say so myself), and many seem to have a pre-conceived notion that good-looking people in an ECV must be trying to gain something from the system or be lazy, because only plain-looking people could possibly need assistance.

9 Likes

I ran into none of that (or at least none that I noticed) while pushing my mom around in a wheelchair, so I think you’ll be just fine. Just be quick on the reflexes to handle people darting out in front of you. Didn’t happen to me too much, but I was expecting it.

The biggest “issue” will be the bus where you will be able to board first. However, once everyone realizes you disembark last, any animosity would quickly dissipate.

OH! also get yourself a cheap pair of bicycle gloves. Save your hands. They work wonderfully!!

4 Likes

Honestly, it’s the buses I’m worried about the most because of the looks I’ve seen people in ECVs and wheelchairs get in the past.

edited to add We’re staying at AKL. If I had known that my daughter was going to break her foot a few weeks before we left, I would have chosen a different resort with other transportation options. LOL. Darn kids.

5 Likes

I honestly ran into nothing that I noticed (and I’m VERY conscious of that kinda stuff). ECVs riders can certainly get it, but a wheelchair, I think, gets a little more leeway.

Then again, if they did throw a look, I’d throw a look right back and then likely be vocal that they are casting disdain on a helpless person and they should be grateful they are not in the same situation, but I can certainly help them with that should they continue to throw said look. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

like @Randall1028, i pushed my mom in a wheelchair on our last trip. we had few issues in the parks or with busses even when we showed up just as the bus arrived and boarded before all the folks waiting. for the people who give looks—or refuse to get out of the way no matter how polite you are—there are plenty more, including cast members, who understand your situation and are nothing but kind. have a great trip!

4 Likes

I agree with this statement. There is absolutely nothing convenient about using an ECV at WDW. It is nerve-wracking, to say the least. So much so that I decided to use my walker on my last trip at Christmas because of the number of people who kept jumping in front of me and stopping on my previous trip.

Using the walker was much better in that sense, but it left me hurting a 1000 times more than I felt on my previous trip with the ECV. If I go back, I’ll use my walker again just to avoid the trouble.

5 Likes

That’s just plain unacceptable. You should not have to endure excess pain for other people’s “convenience.” Yes, it is annoying to get stuck behind an ECV when you’re trying to get through the crowd quickly, but that ECV did not cause the crowd. I’m sure there may be some people that use them out of laziness, but I would reckon that number is very small. The hassle involved is not worth the reward, IMHO.

I get migraines. Is that a pain that anyone can see from the outside? No. Does that make the pain any less debilitating? No. How about we start giving people the benefit of the doubt? Maybe, just maybe, if we treat people with kindness and respect, they will act kindly and respectfully.

12 Likes

This reminds me of situations of road rage, or the impatient feelings we get when we drive behind someone who is driving 10 MPH below the speed limit.

It seems that the degree of annoyance we, personally, feel in such situations is directly proportional to how closely we are, time-wise, at having to be somewhere. So, if I leave with plenty of time, plus extra, to make it to some appointment, it seems that slow driver is far less annoying. But if I’m running behind, suddenly that driver is really irritating. We should take ownership of our own part in the irritation we feel against someone else!

This is mostly true. And for those it isn’t, there isn’t much we’ll accomplish by NOT being respectful, either way.

4 Likes

Take it easy, guys.

I know it’s a sensitive topic, nor do I agree with the sentiment at face value, but don’t forget that the minor rant was on the heels of a resurfacing of frustration of a ruined vacation due to Disney ineptness.

I wouldn’t focus in on it.

7 Likes