Wild Africa Trek at AK

We are going to be doing the Wild Africa Trek at AK next week and it’s their first one of the day (8:45AM). Check in is out near Kilimanjaro Safari and we need to be there around 8:30. Is there an entrance specific to tours like there is (was?) at MK so we aren’t stuck in the masses in line for 9:00 park open? Thanks!

1 Like

Yes there is an area off to the left at the tapstiles where you check in for the tour. They will take you back to the WAT check-in area once everyone in your tour has arrived and checked in.

2 Likes

It is here:

3 Likes

We are also planning WAT for 8:45am when we go in May. I was thinking we should take a Lyft instead of the bus to be sure we make it in time. What time should we plan to leave the Polynesian?

1 Like

We left Poly by Uber at 7:15 for our 8am IIRC

3 Likes

The lines move very quickly once taps open.

If you are staying onsite, you can enter by 8-8:30 because you are eligible for Early Theme Park Entry.

The tour is great. It’s not a one and done like some of the other tours. We’ve done it twice. Always different.

1 Like

How do you think it would be in the rain? We have it booked for this Sunday morning and as of now the weather forecast is saying rain.

And does anyone know if you have to wear masks on the tour?

1 Like

I had one of our tours in the rain and it was amazing. The animals were so active. Just watch your footing as you’re going off the beaten path for some of it. They gave us ponchos to wear.

2 Likes

Thank you!! That really helps me feel better about Sunday

1 Like

Can’t wait to hear about your experience. :elephant::giraffe::leopard:

1 Like

Thanks for the tips everyone! We are driving, so no need to worry about buses or anything like that. Sounds like the plan is to be in line for the taps by 8:00 and we should be good to go! Looking forward to it!

3 Likes

Anyone have experience or thoughts on the Trek right before Marathon week?
I’m wondering if it is worth it that time of year, temps, animal activity, etc? They may not even have it during that time of year.

1 Like

January would be a good time, especially if you wanted to do one not first thing. The animals are more active in cooler weather overall (or rain, as pointed out above) so in warmer months it’s key to do an early one, whereas in cooler months you wouldn’t need to consider that quite as much and might even yourself be more comfortable.

1 Like

Thank you for info! I catch a lot of your answers from Liners questions, and you are always so helpful and knowledgeable.

2 Likes

Aw thanks! I enjoy being a helpful engine :smiley:

2 Likes

I did it on a day when it was raining on and off. Fortunately the walking part stayed dry, but it was raining pretty hard during the safari part. As others have said, the animal experience was excellent. Only down side was that they moved the meal from the overlook to under cover right where you start the tour. This was before Covid, so I can’t answer the mask question.