Why should i stay onsite?

My limited experience with ILL$ was for GOTG. But I was getting frustrated after multiple refreshes that the time wasn’t moving further away. I hit the next button and lo and behold I was able to pick a time. I picked one for later in the day. Not sure how far out you CAN pick, but maybe you can control your ILL for ROTR

2 Likes

Personally I would try to ride earlier in the day so you can take your time at Ogas and slow mosey out and over to Riviera. Maybe have a predinner cocktail at the bar.

3 Likes

Yes, you can pick the time you want for ILLs, just not for for the regular LL

3 Likes

lots of good pointers here and I’m not sure if I’m really adding anything helpful, but I’ll mention anyway: due going to WDW once every couple of years and only staying for a few nights, I’ve been willing (and thankfully able) to fork out the admittedly ridicilous cost of staying onsite at our favorite resort. I have a few reasons for it: 1. early entry, 2. more transport options 3. being in the bubble 24/7 just feels different. Recently, no. 3 has probably been the “best” justification for it.

3 Likes

$1500 is enough to give me pause, and I have never really considered staying off site. :thinking: FWIW, I had touring plans for MK and HS that worked swimmingly well in February this year and December 2021. In fact, I was frustrated with myself having paid $15 for G+ and not utilizing it. However, I think the TP worked so well because I was solo.

6 Likes

I would imagine that makes it easier. One day I’ll get to try it.

2 Likes

Not having a car is in my opinion the biggest reason for staying on site.

We have never stayed on site (except for one time we spend one night at the contemporary to fulfill a life-long childhood dream and it was an utter disappointment, two other times we stayed on site but they don’t count because it was for a race and we didn’t really tour the parks that much) and for my family of four (DD9 and DS5) we prefer the space you get off-site. Dollar for dollar staying off-site makes for a more pleasant, more relaxed and cheaper vacation but, or course, this assumes having a car.

Off-site buses, even when available, suck big time so if you don’t have a car staying off-site is a big no-no. You might be ok with using Uber but trust me, in the heat of the moment after fireworks it isn’t as efficient. We are big on midday breaks (I simply can’t believe people stay in their sweaty undies from open to close, we always return to the hotel even while off site for a fresh set of clothes) but I’m certain that if we had to pay $40+ for an Uber to go back to the park then most likely we would not do it.

We have used Mouse Dining in the past to get most of our ADRs so that isn’t a disadvantage to staying offsite. If you are patient then 99% of your ADR become available.

Rope dropping is certainly a disadvantage to staying offsite, you are always behind of the pack but then on the other hand most families will likely be behind of the pack anyways unless you are like the other liners who are ok waiting in line 90 minutes before entry at buses and tapstiles but not at the ride itself. RD is a sum zero IMO, you will still have a good time as long you get to the park early.

In conclusion, if you are ok sleeping in a tuna can for 7 nights for the exclusive benefit of rising at dawn to ride a bus and eat cafeteria food then, yes, staying on-site is a no brainer.

6 Likes

After much consideration about where to stay, i have finally decided on a resort and booked it. And the winner is: Beach Club! Yay!!!

In order to facilitate this i have changed from the first week of December to the second, but hopefully that is still early enough to avoid the holiday crowds. My kids will still have 2 days of school before break after we return :rofl:

I have never stayed at Beach Club before, but my kids are probably at the ideal age to enjoy the pool, 12 10 and 6. I can see the older ones deciding they’re “too cool” for the kids stuff if i wait much longer.

8 Likes

Congrats on booking your stay! Dates? Any plans on attending a party?

2 Likes

December 10-16, planning on doing 2 days at Universal after, which I’ve also never done.

I’m not planning on doing the Christmas party right now, but never say never :crazy_face:

1 Like

Universal at Christmas time is so much fun!

Wow, there may be a few of us overlapping your days. I guess that’s fair warning?

2 Likes

Hope so! Since I’ve never been and probably won’t bother to learn much before going, my strategy is to spend one night at a deluxe resort for 2 days of unlimited express pass. I figure the unlimited express pass will compensate for a lack of planning.

4 Likes

We stayed at Beach Club last year and it was amazing! My kids were your kids ages and loved, I mean loved, that pool!

We could save a lot staying offsite but like others have said, our biggest reasons we always stay onsite are easy transportation, early entry, ability to walk to parks(when staying at Beach Club), feeling in the bubble, and not needing to rent a car. We’ve also never had major issues with Disney transportation so I can’t complain.

Have a great trip!

3 Likes

There will be a few more activities at Christmas that most likely will not have EP. The first thing I thought of was The Grinchmas Show.

2 Likes

Awesome! Congrats on booking a trip! I guess now that it’s gone from concept to reality it’s time to put your game face on, huh? :wink:

2 Likes

Totally worth seeing (and waiting in line to see)! The last show of the day was consistently the shortest line the 4 days we went in Dec 2021.

2 Likes

We will have overlapping days on Dec. 10 And 11.