Why Jungle Cruise?

6 Likes

Exactly!

1 Like

20,000 Leagues is a great memory for me as well.
Oh, no, I never rode it. The memory is actually sitting with my high school friends on our band trip where we marched on Main Street in the parade. My friends thought the guys that ran the boats were cute. And so we wasted our time in the Magic Kingdom sitting andā€¦watching.
Iā€™m not much of a ride person anyway so it wasnā€™t a huge thing, butā€¦

4 Likes

Aw dang.

So sorry.

You were so close to joining the wolfpack, if only you had actually ridden.

Hereā€™s your consolation prize:

9 Likes

I shall cherish it always. Even though I hear it is basically worthless. Itā€™s the thought that counts.

4 Likes

You are a good sport. I believe youā€™ll find your wolfpack one day :laughing:

Seriously, marching band in MK is pretty sweet!

3 Likes

I wish I had appreciated it more at the time! I was more concerned with who got in trouble for sneaking alcohol into their suitcase. Those guys got IN TROUBLE!!

If my wolfpack is out there, they can let me know. Iā€™m advertising for people who think FEA is the biggest thrill they need. (For real, my screaming on that ā€œdropā€ earned me a few dirty looks from adults. They clearly werenā€™t around the one and only time I tried Barnstormerā€¦screamed the whole time. My DD10 held my hat on my head because I wouldnā€™t let go of the bar. :rofl:)

7 Likes

JC is a must for me. So much of the experience depends on the skipper, so itā€™s definitely never boring. Maybe my fondness for it dates back to a board game in my childhood, Walt Disneyā€™s Adventureland Game, which had metal playing pieces shaped like the boats. Weā€™d move the markers around to collect pictures of the various animals. I still have it. Yep, Iā€™m old.

6 Likes

It was a great attraction but it met its doom because:

1. It was 23 years old and suffered from extensive corrosion
  2. The diesel engines were difficult to maintain
  3. It leaked water into the Utilidor below it
  4. Any major refurbishment would have also necessitated ADA compliance
  5. It took up 25% of Fantasyland and Disney Managment wanted to use the space for other things
3 Likes

For me it is because it was the first Disney ride I knew about. My parents wouldnā€™t take me to see Disney movies or to a Disney park, but I had the picture books based on the movies and I had a book just about the Jungle Cruise. It had tabs to make the animals move. When you are That age, those books with tabs are fascinating, so I read it often.

5 Likes

I remember this one from a trip with Grandparents when I was 5! Iā€™m so glad you mentioned it. I was thinking I might have made it up. Couldnā€™t remember the name or anything. I looked up 20KL and this was it!!

3 Likes

As a kid the whole immersive submersible quality just blew me away.
OK who am I kidding, it still blows me away

Although now I guess I just have to settle for a souvenir cup at Trader Samā€™s.

4 Likes

Or go to DL, where they still have a submarine ride.

3 Likes

We do JC only if there is basically no wait. But it is definitely skipperable. (ha! see what I did there?)

We did it in August 2020 because it was the first time my DDIL had even been to Disney. But, it was still just ho-hum. There are funny moments, but not worth a big wait.

I do agree, it depends on the skipper. The time before we had done it a few years earlier, that skipper was great, and the backside of water joke was spot-on. But every skipper since has made it so over-the-top, the humor is lost.

6 Likes

:roll_eyes:

7 Likes

No, no. Wrong emoji. This is the emoji youā€™re looking for:

:joy:

3 Likes

We actually avoided it when our kids were little because we did it once and they were small so didnā€™t get the jokes. We also did it after AK, and fake animals are not as cool as real ones.

Itā€™s back on our list of rides now that the kids can enjoy the jokes. Iā€™m guessing the amount of people that can ride an hour is pretty low which is why the line is so long.

1 Like

That one is big in my mind too! My other two memories are the unexpectedly scary Snow White ride and the also weirdly scary Mr. Toadā€™s Wild Ride!

1 Like

They donā€™t have a groaning emojiā€¦

But, I was so clever, because I used a Jungle-Cruise style joke to describe the Jungle Cruise. It was not only a bad dad joke, but ironic, while being punny!

So many levels of depth there, you see? Soā€¦you can revisit your reaction now. :grin: :roll_eyes: :crazy_face:

5 Likes