Why is MK closing at 4:30pm?

Can’t say with certainty, but fairly sure they don’t do that in a high season time like Christmas. The week after Thanksgiving starts a bit of a lull and so I think that’s why they do it then. I seem to recall it around that same time last year.

1 Like

The calendar for Dec 17 isn’t released yet, but it will be at same location with Nov replaced with Dec when it its available.

The official park times from Disney has only been released up to Nov 11th. All calendars from different sites are estimates based on past data. It is used for a reference but times most likely will change. When is your actual dates?

11/26-12/01

You have about 2 weeks before the official calendar comes out. If you HAVE to make official touring plans and park plans. You can use the projections. I will be there 11/15 and in the same boat. I am waiting for the official schedule to finalize my touring plans. If you have flexibility of which parks you go to on which day, you may want to keep that in mind. Many sites has a calendar projection based on previous years. For example, if Company A rents MK out every year around the same time, that is projected in the calendar…but…there is no guarantee if the trend will hold or if there is a separate event. If you can wait for the official hours to be published, I recommend it.

Ultimately I planned for a full day (park closing at 9) and plan to move my MK day to the date in which that is true. Don’t stress, you have plenty of time to plan ADR, FPP+ and your days at the park.

I hope this helps…btw…you picked great times to go to the parks! Not to hot and low crowds.

The Cast Member appreciation event is an annual event. It usually takes place in November. If all the calendars are showing those hours it seems as that is the night it is scheduled.

I did confirm w/ Disney that it seems to be the cast member appreciation event. Hopefully they’ll mix up the date/park next year…Having it at MK when there are already 2 MVMCPs to plan around seems like a poor choice. But that’s just me saying that b/c we’re going that week, lol.

Thanks for the info! I guess we’ll be watching most of our MK fireworks from outside the park. It’s a good thing I sprung for the park hoppers!

1 Like

I’m going to do our best to plan around it. Would say lets do another park that day but that is our last full day and we like to make that a MK day and probably still will, maybe have a dinner res around 5:30 at one of the resorts.
I’m a little sour about it though that they have to do the event in MK of all parks, that week when there are already two MVMCPs (which doesn’t bother me, those are events available to paying guests). I just think a private event would be more appropriate at another park that doesn’t close early for MVMCP.

How many times do you plan to visit MK? Are you looking at a park hopper option?

We weren’t going to do PH because regular tickets just work best for us. In 6 years we’ve done PH once b/c it was with free dining (last year). We just find it preferable to stick to one park per day. And I thought about PH for a second because of this but is it worth another $300 b/c of the impact to that one day? I’m not sure.
We plan to have 2-3 MK days, it’s our favorite park.

I understand. We are scheduled for the 15th of November and touring plans had the park closing at 4:30. I have adjusted our plans so that we go to AK the first day to avoid issue. Disney just released the official park hours for Nov 15th and MK officially closes at 9 pm. So…if you can wait for the official park times for the 30th. (Which will be released in 15 days) I recommend it. Now I am nervous about our new MK day. If there is an issue, I may need to move again when I should not have moved it in the first place.

If you haven’t made dinner/lounge plans, California Grill at the Contemporary is a nice place to watch fireworks. Just be mind full of the time/

Oh they will won’t they (be released in about two weeks)? I’ll definitely keep an eye out. I’m 200 days out exactly so it’d be great to know that before my ADR date.

We’ve thought about that! That’s definitely something we’d like to do. How is it for kids?

Well…that’s the bad part…you have to watch for the times…when we made this “very difficult to get” reservation for 7:30 PM, the fireworks on MVMCP was at 8 PM. About a month before we check-in, they moved the fireworks to 10:30 PM. Whose kids (ours were preschooler’s) stay up that long to watch fireworks??? The reason I figured was because they had fireworks at 6 PM already for the kids.

We went back to the Grand Floridian to watch from the deck. Kids slept, I smoked a cigar with my son…hehheheh

I may have miss-read your question. IMO, CG is not for kids of the younger tier. There is some exotic menu items (like ostrich) they might not like to try but should. If I recall there were the standard menu items for kids. Its not a stuffy place for kids but they do pull out all the stops to make the dining experience great.