Why I am IGNORING SWGA Crowds

my question is this- Everyone keeps saying, “we know that HS will be at capacity…” but then why doesn’t Touring Plans already have the crowd levels at 10?

My understanding is that TP uses everything from ticket sales to ride openings to weather to predict the crowd levels and they’re pretty spot on…you know, REAL science and data. So if the levels remain around a 4-6 currently for late Sept or early October, my understanding is that ticket sales AS OF NOW still don’t reflect the predicted “at capacity” crowds. Sure, we are likely see a spike much closer to opening but at this point, everyone knows when GE is opening so wouldn’t we already see that spike in ticket sales since those really big fans would be rushing to get their tickets?? :question: Something to ponder…

Crowd levels aren’t based on the number of people in the park, they are based (mainly) on wait times for certain attractions during peak hours. If there were a million guests inside HS but they were all waiting to get into the GE area and all the other rides had no wait at all, technically the park would be both at capacity (far exceeding capacity) but a CL1. (Maybe not a 1 but low).

Of course, that won’t be the case and there will be people waiting for other rides. But it is possible that enough people will be waiting to get in to GE that the park could shut for capacity while some rides still have relatively decent wait times. I suppose it’s going to depend how they handle entry to the land.

1 Like

My crowd calculator has Oct 22, 27 and 28 as 6. While Oct 25 as 7 and Oct 26 as 8. On those weekend days, HS is reaching 9-10 which is why we are probably going to try to hit the waterparks on the weekend.

The crowd calendar is continually updating as the dates get closer, especially about 90 days out. However, as TP has stated in their YouTube vids, Star Wars is so hard to calculate as its popularity is something unprecedented. You have to make your peace now that the Fall & Winter of 2019 are just going to be capacity. You may be waiting in 3 - 4 hour lines at HS for those attractions.

Great attitude! We will be at WDW Sept 7 - Sept 13 and much like you we see the crowd projection at HS move from a 2 to 6 during the middle of the week. We will work through it and enjoy our time at WDW. It’s the first trip for my Daughter in Law and my 2 grandkids we can’t wait!

1 Like

I will be there during the same time 9/28-10/8 and there are 2 level 6 days and a level 7. I planned a rest day for the level 7 day.

That’s our plan also… Maybe we can get on Fop without a FP.

We were bummed when the announcement was made, We will be there 9/22-9/30. At this point I was able to make all the ADRs I had wished for and just plan on going with the flow. We do have tickets for MNSSHP which will be a first for us. Our last visit was Jan 2017 in which our older “adult children” in their 20s and my parents came along. Even with lower crowds the 2nd week of January when we went, the trip was so hectic to me plus it was shorter. Too may people to please. This time its just me, the hubby and our 5 year old for double the amount of time. We will enjoy ourselves no matter what.
What do you think are the chances of them continuing the HS ToyStory Land EMM into September? Really hoping they do!

We are from England and will be there from 21st August till 4th Sept we booked this 12 months ago thinking the crowd levels would be pretty quite the second week of our trip how wrong you can be :weary: We are not really big Star Wars fans but I’m sure we will try and take a peak once it’s been open a few days I’m guessing the whole of Disney will become manic from the 29th (Oh well) we are in Disney who cares

1 Like

We had Sep 21-30 booked before the announcement, and have decided to take the same attitude as you and embrace it. I watched the TP YouTube talk about how they rate the crowd levels, and they said they rate the levels in the HS excluding the crowds at SWGE. The crowd levels are only what they predict for the rest of the park. We feel like it really should not be too bad as long as we’re not there for opening week. Our biggest problem is that we are big Star Wars fans, so we can’t possibly not see it if it’s open! We are planning three days for HS, two are with HS EMH, and one is with an early morning bkfst at HW&Vine before park opens (unless they change park open time to 8am). We are hoping one of the days we will get into SWGE, and the other days will be for the rest of the park. We haven’t decided how long we are willing to wait for things, so trying to keep an open mind to letting it go if it’s too crazy. We’re also thinking about saving one day of tickets to go in to EPCOT on Oct 1 (after we check out, but before we leave FL), so we can see the new EPCOT night show, but debating if it will be insane, or just kind of hectic. We are huge fans of “old EPCOT”, so this new show sounds irresistible! No matter what, It’s still Disney, and if we follow a touring plan, we’ll be ok. We were there in 2017 over Thanksgiving and had a couple of days with crowd levels at 10, and we still had a great time! Of course the whole reason we booked Sep 21-30 was to avoid doing that again… but I don’t think it will be that bad. Like someone said, most people will not pull their kids out of school that early in the year…I hope!

Let’s put this in perspective:

Something as lame as Slinky Dog already gets two hour lines, and is an impossible to book FP+, and that’s just because its a relatively new Disney ride at an underserved park.

What do you think that is going to happen when a ride that’s actually going to be good is going to hit Hollywood Studios??