Why aren’t we talking about Encanto?

Look I’m not saying anything…

…but did you notice you never see Camilo when the donkeys are wandering around?

Or do you?

Did anyone say he could only shapeshift into other people?

6 Likes

:joy::joy:

2 Likes

This is a common theme. People that watch it once are often 50-50, confused by all the characters and general lack of plot, villian, etc, but many of the “meh” watchers appreciate it more when dragged back a second time. There’s a lot going on in the movie…

And then there’s this-- Conquered tiktok a few weeks ago. Just reached #1 on the billboard music charts

4 Likes

Here’s a very interesting breakdown of the song “We Don’t Talk about Bruno”. Just makes me love it even more!

3 Likes

I liked the bit about the embroidery on Mirabel’s skirt.

2 Likes

I notice that in Mirabel’s song “Waiting on a miracle” that she is looking at Isabella!! when she sings “show this family something new”

And of course, Isabella’s song starts “I just made something unexpected, something sharp, something new”

(Also I think I’ll be singing waiting on a miracle to myself every morning of my trip at 6:59:58…
“I could ride a mountain, or wait in standby with other guys…”)

5 Likes

Absolutely. If you talk to someone whose family has been a part of intergenerational trauma they can tell you just how deep this movie goes.

Even without this, I think it speaks to so many different people: taking on more and more until you crack under pressure, feeling like you have to be someone’s version of perfect but not yourself, families acting like the family memeber who is troubled doesn’t exist.

But to me the big bad villain of this movie is trauma. The trauma Abuela endures - she tries so hard to protect her family and villiage from similar trauma, that she becomes the villain.

Disney has tried to mature in its vision of love. Frozen was seen as a great flip of the classic romantic story. But Encanto shows love in its most complicated, messy form. I think that is why I went from it is “fine” to loving it the more I listen to the soundtrack or watch it.

9 Likes

Spot. On.

3 Likes

Finally got to seeing this over the weekend. Wow. Thematically, it first came off to me as a somewhat straightforward story of inner struggle, but it has as much depth to it as the viewer is willing to give it and apply to his own life and vulnerabilities. I’m appreciating it more in my mind since seeing it, as I’m thinking through the personality types and what some of their core fears might be. So many things going on, I get why many here have mentioned wanting to see again (and again). I just may need to do that.

Visually blown away. What a treat to see all the colors pop so well in Dolby Vision. Just stunning in every way. Great job with the animation.

The music is usually what I focus on the most with almost any Disney movie. I hold LMM to the highest of standards because his talent warrants that, and I was again impressed by what he did. Some similarities with the Moana soundtrack stylistically, and a lot of new things too.

The first song set a good tone and I appreciated the nod to “Belle” to introduce the character and town effectively.

Did not find “We don’t talk about Bruno” to be as catchy as I thought, and would put it as about the 4th or 5th best song, which says more about the other songs.

Loved Luisa’s song (Surface Pressure?) and the great casting choice for her with vocals you’re just not used to hearing but are wonderful and perfect for the character, and agree with whoever mentioned Dos Oruguitas as the best song. The emotional crux of the film called for something perfect there, and I loved it. I read more about LMM’s thoughts about that song, how he familiarized himself with Columbian ballads, and how his goal was to come up with something that sounded like it was already familiar and always existed. That is some deep stuff. I’ve tried to write some music, and pulling off a feat like that takes some kind of genius I wish I had.

LMM really expanded his skills here, with even more intricate and unpredictable chord progressions and lyrical flourishes than his earlier works in my opinion, and everything seems to fit the moment and move the story effectively. The evolution of Disney movies to add plot complexity and make struggles more relatable has been met with equally complex music that has transitioned from the age of great Disney standards from the likes of Menken and Ashman to new exciting places that seem limitless. I will be listening to the whole soundtrack again and trying to notice and appreciate more details.

11 Likes

Give it time :smiling_imp:

6 Likes

I have sing/screamed “it was my wedding day” mentally about a hundred million times since I watched it.

6 Likes

Totally agree with you on Bruno. I thought Luisa’s song was the standout and so many others were better than Bruno.

3 Likes

That would be @Jeff_AZ and me :smiley:

2 Likes

Me too! And I proceed to do all the parts lol. Like I’m Pepa and Felix etc. :rofl:

3 Likes

Bruno is a great and catchy song! Perfect for a Billboard hit. But I maintain that Dos Oruguitas is the best, most Oscar-worthy.

5 Likes

Gotta agree.
Bruno does appear to be catchy (although I still haven’t caught it beyond one line)
But Dos Oruguitas always gets me.

2 Likes

Well he definitely nailed it I think.

1 Like

I started this thread.
And I LOVE this movie.
But how do I stop getting notifications?

4 Likes

Switch from “Tracking” to “Normal” or “Muted.” On a browser, this is what it looks like:

2 Likes

Thank you. I should have said, how do I not get emails everytime.
It’s on watching - I will move to tracking? I mean I don’t need to HIDE the thread - I reserve that for extreme times. But the emails are more than I need.

1 Like