Why aren’t we talking about Encanto?

I noticed this without even having seen it and wondered if there was some connection between the two films and/or their characters. Guess not. I’ll keep reading though.

1 Like

100% agree. Thought it would be a perfect playspace kind of thing to replace Dinowhateveritisoverthere

2 Likes

This!

3 Likes

You are a wise man.

(I got in reply jail so I’m editing this one)

That’s Lin Manuel Miranda. These songs felt very “Hamilton” to me in their key and cadence and lyrics.

That’s about where I placed him. 5 or 6. In the flashbacks to Mirabel’s night, she was much younger too. It seems to have been years since the last gift night.

OMG YES!!! See? Wise

2 Likes

We also tend to have on captions more often than not. Not sure why either. But I think I get more out of movies with that feature.

I :heart: this movie. I have listened to it a few times while doing housework and listened today as I cleaned the pantry and craft cabinets. I just love this movie. I get something more out of it each time.

Did you see Bruno in the background when Mirabel was singing with Dolores?

I designed a tumbler on zazzle today with art someone loaded but just got an email that it wasn’t approved. :frowning:

1 Like

Out of jail?

1 Like

LMM repeats phrases in his lyrics a LOT though. I think that’s why so many of these songs felt “Hamilton” to me (and I liked that)

1 Like

I did not! Next time

1 Like

So glad you liked it! And you are quite wise yourself!

2 Likes

My 5 yo son saw it but asked if it was Bruno or Camilo pretending to be Bruno! :exploding_head: still cool regardless!

Encanto really might be my favorite Disney movie of all time. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: There, I said it!

4 Likes

It’s definitely in my top three with Bolt and Emperors New Groove.
My favorite musical.

1 Like

So … do we think this will be Disney’s next Broadway musical? Seems like it would be ripe for adaptation.

1 Like

See I actually think that would be lazy. Because I think a lot of the work has been done or at least started.

1 Like

So DD11 is now obsessed with Encanto YouTube. She made the point to me that it is so popular because everyone can relate to at least one of the family members.

Unfortunately she relates the most to Bruno, not really from a home situation, but the way he is generally misunderstood and overlooked :frowning:

Apparently this relationship is really resonating with many people whose grandparents immigrated to America (agian based on stories DD related from Encanto YouTube).

1 Like

As much as I love musicals I rarely enjoy stage productions of Disney movies.

1 Like

Someone described it as “Bruno vibing to his own diss track” :rofl:

2 Likes

The same could be said for ALL of their Broadway adaptations with the slight exception of Mary Poppins which at least examined different stories and added some new songs.

The Aladdin theatre show added ‘High Adventure’.
I LOVE that song. The lyrics are fantastic.

And Frozen added “Monster” - but they were essentially the movie just put on stage.

2 Likes

I really liked the additional music in Beauty and the Beast (Home, Human Again, etc.). Plus it’s just good enough to warrant a stage play. I never saw Aladdin but I listened to a podcast by the composers of Frozen (Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Bobby Lopez) and talking about the changes they made from the film was very intriguing! I want to see it someday … I was sad when it’s Broadway run was terminated due to the pandemic.

Here’s the episode. This is my absolute favorite podcast, btw. Totally worth going back to the first episode and adding it to your subscriptions.

2 Likes