Who knew Hagrid is an anamatronic?

I had no idea that Hagrid was not a real person in the movies. This is an IG reel, so I don’t know how long the link will work:

536K Likes, 5,935 Comments - FunnyHoodVidz (@funnyhoodvidz) on Instagram: "via @harrypotterfilm"

I did not know this :astonished:. I am sad :cry:

2 Likes

That was the “Big Hagrid” they used in scenes where he needed to look big, like standing beside someone. See, he’s real:

10 Likes

Wait

2 Likes

Hagrid was indeed a real person in the movies.

6 Likes

That’s what I thought too, but this video made me question everything. I thought it was a real person (face and all) and they used movie magic to make him look big. I like @bebe80 explanation that the animatronic was only for some scenes

2 Likes

Robbie Coltrane is a fantastic actor but he isn’t an actual giant (or half-giant)! Sometimes an animatronic stand in was required, if the usual tricks weren’t going to cut it.

8 Likes

That’s cool. I didn’t know they used animatronics for him.

But they also used a really tall guy as a stand in…
https://www.google.com/search?q=Martin+Bayfield&oq=Martin+Bayfield&aqs=chrome..69i57j46i433i512j0i512l6.2397j0j7&client=ms-android-samsung-gj-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

If you look closely there are a few scenes where you see his face. Diagon Alley for example. They have Martin Bayfield dressed as Hagrid walking beside Daniel Radcliffe, but for the dialogue close ups for Robbie Coltrane they only show his upper half. I think it’s all done very cleverly.

If you ignore his Goldeneye appearance!! :rofl:
Fun fact - did you know Robbie Coltrane was in Flash Gordon??!

3 Likes

I’ve never seen Goldeneye, no interest in Bond whatsoever. I don’t think I did know that!

2 Likes

I have the Blu-ray box set of all the Harry Potter movies, the Hogwarts Collection, and they have an extra feature on there explaining when they used Robbie Coltrane, when they used Martin Bayfield and when they used the animatronic. It was very interesting!

5 Likes

That’s so cool!!

Movies are full of lies. It’s shocking.

3 Likes