Who is on deck?! Including Srentmee trip report!

Thanks! We definitely use Instacart plenty at home, but we are just in a studio this trip and it is a split stay so I think I am going to pack wine, beer and non-perishables and then just grab a few things from the marketplace. We we in a 2-bedroom last time and grocery delivery was great!

3 Likes

Recommended. We brought grandkids - maybe 10 and 8 - and I donā€™t know who enjoyed it more. The kids got plenty of shells and DH had a good time chatting with the locals.

1 Like

I wouldā€™ve reacted as if I were meeting a genuine celebrity. Not weird at all.

4 Likes

We LOVE Destin. We really enjoy Destin West (actually in For Walton). We stay bay side. The bay right there is shin deep. Lots of hermit crabs. Not turquoise water but still very clear. Also, we rent pontoon boats and head to crab island in the middle of the bay. Again, many areas there are shin, maybe knee deep. Lots of boats parked and usually distanced away. The kids always loved it. Their are also bayside park beaches. The only waves are from the occasional boats.

1 Like

Whatā€¦ youā€™ve never been to Opal Beach!?

2 Likes

I would have to google where this is. Mostly gulf coast but have been to Jacksonville, Galveston and Cocoa beach also. And on cruises to Caribbean. Im sheltered :grin:
Also, Lake Martin!
Edit: Just googled. Its in Pensacola! So I may have. Weā€™ve only been there once.

1 Like

That was my favorite drive when we lived on Eglin AFBā€¦ and Opal Beach was our hangout. Quiet and with bathrooms :wink:

2 Likes

On the Navarre side of the National Seashore they have the either state or national park area with bathrooms, pavilions and an outdoor shower. Weā€™ve been there twice.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m talking aboutā€¦that drive is soooo calming. Not like here, you canā€™t see water b/c of hotels and homes. I miss driving along the panhandle.

2 Likes

So this is all that is there currently:

I talked to the childrenā€™s activities coordinator at the pool and she said that they used to post the activities/schedule but because of COVID they no longer do this and instead just go day by day but that they usually will have poolside activities from about 2:30 to 7:30 every day.

4 Likes

Thurs 9/24, Day 5
Awoke today to find the dreaded envelope under the door. DD did her 8 am kinder zoom meeting and then we walked over to HS arriving at 9 am.

At 9 am, it is just walkers lined up outside the temp screening booths and there are four total lines, two temp check lines on the left and two on the right (closest to the end of the walking path). The lines to the left are shorter. Once everything opened up, we headed straight to MMRR again and did not stop walking until we were just about to enter the room with the ramp. We were off MMRR at 9:33 And in line for SDD by 9:40.

We had gotten to this point in the lineā€¦

ā€¦when we got thisā€¦

I also heard scattered cheers all around like usual at official park open time so Iā€™m wondering if something was amiss on Tuesday.
Off SDD at 10:12 and TSL was too busy at that point so headed out of this area. Noted on the way out that both the SDD and the TSM lines extended out to The Little Mermaid theater. We headed down Sunset to the Cars show and watched fhis show.

RnRC was down and I couldnā€™t help thinking how nice it would be if it happened to open up just as we were passing by. Alas, no dice.

Stopped for snacks at Anaheim Produce and had a delicious frozen margarita. Usually Iā€™m an on-the-rocks person but it was warmer today than it has been and this was refreshing. OK, I confess, it was two margaritas. By the end of snack time, the estimated return time for the BG was 120 minutes, all the waits were long and RnRC still had not opened. I banked on some down time for RotR and DH, the kids and I headed back to the hotel for a swim. Traded pins on the way out and took the Skyliner back at 11:30. Grammy stayed and hung out at HS.
We played at SAB for about an hour. DH got a beer from the pool bar. This was SAB at 12:20 sunny and 84 degrees:

At 1:15 our BG was called. Seriously, where are the reliability issues when you are counting on them?! Got changed and over to the IG Skyliner station at 1:50 to be informed that it was temporarily down so we started walking. Meanwhile, Grammy proceeded to ride RotR shortly after our BG was called and she had just finished the ride when we got there to hand off the stroller with the kids nearly passed out. Thank goodness for grace period because we were a couple minutes past our window. This was only my second ride on Rise and it was a much more enjoyable experience without the kids.

Met back up with Grammy and the kids after this and sat on a shady park bench near Brown Derby for about an hour relaxing and eating popcorn and popsicles. Saw a couple of cavalcades go by in that time. After the Disney Jr. cavalcade, DS3 asked me why they werenā€™t wearing masks. My brain was too tired to come up with a good answer at the time.
Went to the Mickey Shorts theater next and really enjoyed the cartoon.

Wait times were starting to drop a little at this point so headed through GE back to TSL stopping along the way for a magic shot with the child. Rode TSM with about a 5 minute wait and then SDD with about a 30 minute wait and then headed out of the park around 6:15 stopping in a shop along the way. Could have forced it for the benefit of good lines in that last 45 minutes of park time but we were all just beat. Ordered a pizza from the Boardwalk Pizza Window while in the Skyliner back to the hotel and DH went to pick this up while the rest of us returned to the room and got settled in. Ate dinner in room and then bed.

17 Likes

Sounds like a great HS day!!

1 Like

I like your style :tropical_drink:

4 Likes

I think @Jeff_AZ posted something about Tuesday being a bad operations day for RoTR in that thread.

2 Likes

Yep. Tuesday 9/22 had downtime for about 40% of the day! The worst day in recent memory. Itā€™s the spike on the right side of this chart.

1 Like

Glad you got to ride RotR! Great photos!

2 Likes

Good to know. Iā€™m guessing they only released a very small number of BGā€™s that morning because I was in the middle of TSL and heard no cheers at official park open time.

1 Like

Awesome, thank you so much! I was mostly curious which nights and what time the movie is. Any idea how you are supposed to know what movie?

Have you been riding the Skyliner just to give your feet a break? I honestly hadnā€™t really even thought of using this method but I think DS would love it! But itā€™s so annoying that it closes so much in the afternoons.

1 Like

Movie is starting at 8:30 pm currently. We have just been asking even though we never made it down. I know it was Mulan earlier in the week, Iā€™m assuming the animated version and then last night it was something non-animated that I didnā€™t recognize.

1 Like

Weā€™ve been consistently riding the Skyliner back from HS but with when it starts running, the second line at the Caribbean Beach transfer, and the lines in the mornings at HS, for us it was definitely worth it to walk there in the morning do 1-3 rides and maybe get a BG and then head back to swim before returning in the afternoon.

2 Likes