When to stop planning

Not for 2020, I just used 8 days vacation for my Dopey+Cruise trip and we have some little trips already planned for this summer. 2021 we are looking at family trip to San Diego. She doesn’t know it yet, but I’m working on a “proposal” to extend the trip to visit DL. I’m excited about the prospect of learning a whole new park (well, 2 apparently)

1 Like

We did a SanDiego/DLR combo trip in 2017 - super fun!

4 Likes

We actually discussed doing a San Diego and DLR trip for later this year, but ended up deciding to go to WDW instead. We thought we would wait until our 2 year old is a couple years older before doing San Diego and DLR so he will be able to do more stuff. It’s looking like 2022 for our San Diego and DLR trip … so you will be able to give me all the tips!

2 Likes

So did we! 2 days of parks, 2 days of baseball, and 4 days of San Diego sight seeing. 10/10 would do again.

1 Like

We almost did a SD/DLR trip this year too! We are doing WDW instead due to ease of transportation. You all will need to give me tips when we make it happen.

1 Like

We did San Diego/Disneyland a couple of summers ago when we visited my sister-in-law who lives in SD. A brief three day jaunt up to Anaheim was the perfect way to avoid overstaying our welcome. And Disneyland was a pretty easygoing trip compared to WDW.

1 Like

For sure. I basically downloaded the Lines app, picked a standard touring plan and off we went. We were done by early afternoon easily. No ADRs and I may have picked up a fast pass or 2 in the park, but definitely nothing before hand.

2 Likes

I am so glad to see others with a similar “sickness” that I have. :joy: I love planning. My husband thinks I’m insane.
I went to Disneyland for the first time in 1984 at age 6. I then came home with a park map and spent HOURS in my room planning pretend trips for my dolls. So I have had this sickness for a LONG time. I haven’t been to Disney for over 20 years and am so excited to be taking my 5 yr old next month. I am embracing the planning and I’m just thrilled that Disney has finally caught up with all this technology allowing us to indulge our adult planning selves to our heart’s content. Plan on!

8 Likes

Welcome to the forum you are in the right place!

2 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better.

2 Likes

In general,
MK: SDMT, PP, SM, BTMRR
HS: SDD, TSMM, ToT, RnR (note these are all Tier 1, so you can only pick one in advance)
EP: Soarin, Frozen, Test Track
AK: FoP, Everest, Kilimanjaro

If you click here it’ll give you the right this minute current day FPP availability at each park, which will give you a good idea of what FPP’s are not available for day of adjustments (not counting the same day drop times) helping you prioritize what ones to get at 60 days

1 Like

When I look at that information, I realize that getting same-day FPs is no longer a good plan. It seems everyone knows about this. Almost nothing is available, same-day, at MK right now for the remainder of the day.

Because of this, I removed any hope of getting a same-day FP from my plans. Of course, this means SB lines will be at their longest as well. :confused:

(Have I mentioned I hate FPP?)

I wouldn’t give up…just don’t expect a same day FPP for the one attraction you must do.

I find it is a wonderful surprise when you search and get an additional FPP for something you did not plan for. This happened to me last we in MK when I got a 4th FPP for 7DMT!

Also, it helps to push you towards rides you have not done or did not plan on doing. These can sometimes be the best part of the day!

It also helps if you are solo. One night in Epcot, after using my 3rd FP, I snagged one for Soarin, and as as soon as I tapped in I looked and there was still a lot of availability. I just didn’t have the leg energy to walk through that loooooong queue and stand for the pre-flight briefing again and again… I love Soarin, but 3 times (or was it 4?) in one trip is enough I think

Epcot is the only park today that had any FP availability. The other three had nothing left but shows. The CLs today are similar for predicted CLs for our trip.

1 Like

It really depends on your party size, the time of day and time of the year. I wouldn’t give up hope all together. I was able to get same day for Midway Mania for 4 people on Tues. It took me about 15 minutes to grab it and modify a couple times to get the time I wanted, so it’s not impossible. Just requires perseverance.

Plan all you want - but be prepared for contingencies that will deviate from your plans on the fly when they happen - like a packed Magic Kingdom my first night (only night with no party) and an empty Epcot at 7 am - or loving a ride so much to want to ride it again i.e. Mission Space Green

Since you have an AP you can look at what’s available on the same day, right? Try doing that exercise but modifying for 5 minutes each time to see what is the best you can get with 5 minutes of trying. If MDE is still working the same way it was last September, you might be positively surprised.

Basically, Disney never wants you to see a FP as a possible selection, click on it and it not be available. So they do some strange concurrency stuff to guarantee that, which makes only a subset of FPs available each time you look.