When I was very young

A trip to relish the childhood that will be a long time ago some day.

3 Likes

Day -1…
Frontier did not assign seats together. Was able to online chat and get seats together.
Then DS did not get pre check on boarding pass

2 Likes

How old is DS? I think I remember hearing that kids 14 and under get it automatically if their ticket was purchased with an adult who has precheck?

2 Likes
  1. Apparently, the cut off is 12. Hopefully, the regular line won’t be that bad today.
1 Like

I don’t think so. You should try. We were going to get precheck for our DS16 and could not register him. Apparently, per the site, it’s to age 17 that they can tag along on a parent’s.

Give it a try.

And then report back because I want to know for myself :smiley:

1 Like

With our DS14, I just had to put my Precheck number into the system for my son. No issues.

ETA…put it into the airline system. Spirit airlines and Delta in my case.

1 Like

That’s weird. I got it for DS when he was 13 because of this wording. He has his own. But my niece who travels with us frequently usually received it as long as we were on the same reservation (the last trip she was 14).

1 Like

I missed this and also thought it was 12. We got Matt’s TSA pre a while back and he just turned 15.

Best wishes for smooth travel today @WendyMichaelJohn . Have a great trip!!

1 Like

Yeah I don’t know when that was or if there was some update since then (I see that @JustKeepSmiling reports similar but not sure when she did it either). But we just tried within the last month or two and got a certain way through the process and couldn’t go any further because none of the options applied. Gosh I wish I could remember what it was that stonewalled us. When we got to that point we went digging around a little more and found he doesn’t need it until he’s 18 and can fly on our TSA precheck status

@ryan1 you’re telling me you put your own TSA Precheck # into the airline system? That didn’t flag for duplicate? Gee that doesn’t feel super secure!

2 Likes

It is the ONLY way to get the Precheck logo on the boarding pass. I agree it doesn’t, but TSA simply says that a child between 13 and 17 on the same reservation is eligible to have the Precheck access…but when we were looking for how to actually do it, we found lots of folks who said the way you have to do it is just put one of the parents’ Precheck number in the airline system for the child. That’s what we did, and it went through fine.

The TSA agent at DTW asked my DS how old he was, but I think that was simply because he didn’t have an ID or anything to show. The TSA agent at MSP didn’t ask anything.

1 Like

He’s now 15 so it was a couple years ago. I tried to get it for my nephew when he was 16 but he didn’t have a passport or a license so we couldn’t do it. Luckily, I had just gotten in DS’s new passport because of a cruise, so we had it at the ready.

2 Likes

Well that’s not quite true because I’ve had my kids get it without me even having TSA

But perhaps you mean to use it in this fashion?

Oh Luke will hopefully have a newly minted NH Driver’s License so he’ll be whipping that out at every opportunity :rofl:

Now that you mention this, that was the thing that got us stuck. He’ll have a new license we hope but not in time to complete the process.

4 Likes

Yeah. I mean, if your child does NOT have precheck, but you do, the way you get their boarding pass to also have the precheck logo is you put in YOUR precheck number.

If they have their own precheck number, you definitely use that. They would need that if they were traveling WITHOUT a parent on the same reservation.

In our case, we had precheck, but our son did not. But there is no way to get the precheck logo on the boarding pass without putting in a precheck number…and what we found was that you just needed to enter one of the parents’ precheck numbers for the child as long as they are on the same reservation. Which we did, and worked fine.

2 Likes

No my kids have gotten the TSAPre designation when NONE of us had TSAPre (and they were too young to go through on their own)

3 Likes

Interesting. Maybe this only applies if they are in the 13-17 age range then?

2 Likes

That’s possible

2 Likes

Not sure how this happened, but when I opened mobile boarding passes on my phone, they both had the pre check mark. That was not the case when I checked in last night. Anyway, both security lines were under 10 mins, so that was a win. We are boarded and ready to go.

We shipped the bag using LugLess and it arrived on Monday, so we will be going straight to EP!

6 Likes

Excellent

1 Like

No, it isn’t. If they are booked on the same reservation, it should automatically be applied to children under 18. Has worked for me dozens of times, and the instant my son turned 18 he was no longer included and had to get him his own number.

1 Like

Really? Never tried ourselves, but we spent a ton of time researching, and universally (dozens of anecdotal stories) this is what people said to do, otherwise you don’t always get the Precheck on the boarding pass. So we did it, and it worked.

1 Like