What would you choose? Chef de France or Restaurant Marrakesh?

I am leaning toward Restaurant Marrakesh, because I think the show will be interesting and we’re eating at Be Our Guest too, so we’ll have a chance to have French food, but now I’m second guessing myself. I will be going with my 17 year old son, who is an adventurous eater.

It’s been awhile, but I was not very impressed with Chefs de France. I guess I was looking for a more authentic experience, but it was basically a collection of items you could easily find elsewhere in the US. It’s an American’s idea of what a French restaurant should be. :smile: I guess if one wants the real deal, there’s Monsieur Paul. Having said that, I just glanced at the menu and it looks a bit better than when we were there.

Perhaps I haven’t eaten enough Moroccan food to find fault with Marrakesh, but I thought the food there was very good, the service was pleasant and prompt, and the belly dancer added a bit of fun. It also seemed less hectic than Chefs. I think I’d pick it for that reason alone.

3 Likes

Thank you Pod!

1 Like

I have not eaten at Chefs de France, so I cant’ comment on it, but I have eaten at Marrakesh twice. The reason to go is for the ambiance and the show. The food there is okay, but not as good as the food at their quick service location, Tangierine Cafe. However, the location is tucked away and beautiful, the servers are super friendly and helpful, and both of my girls have bellydanced with the performer and it was an awesome moment!

1 Like

Great! You guys are getting me excited about Restaurant Marrakesh again. I guess I’m have a FOMO moment.

1 Like

I’m with @Pod on this one.

I haven’t eaten at RM, but I did CDF in December and found it very ordinary. For example, I had the lobster bisque to start and it looked like there was an actual chunk of lobster in it. It was actual a bit of fish stick.

2 Likes

We really enjoyed Chefs de France, but we had the (WONDERFUL!) steak. We’re not adventurous eaters, so probably wouldn’t go with spicy cuisines, though. But the food was worth it and the kids ask to go back there.

1 Like

I’m not sure exactly what you mean by spice, but I can’t eat anything remotely spicy hot. Once or twice, for expensive prix fixe occasions, I’ve even called ahead to inform the chef of that. The last time I did that I was in New Orleans so I was justifiably afraid.:laughing: Cajun- yikes!!!

I didn’t have a problem with Marrakesh. I do like strong flavors and other spices though, probably to make up for the lack of capsaicin in my diet, haha. But it was easy to stay away from anything spicy hot.

1 Like

We really like both restaurants a lot. I had the filet mignon at Chefs and a combo platter of three small servings of different entrees at Marrakesh. The dancers and drummers were super fun at Marrakesh and the restaurant was really pretty. It felt very relaxing. It was also my son’s birthday and they let him wear a fez while they serenaded him, which was definitely a highlight.

1 Like

This is as close to a consensus as I’ve seen on the forum. Thanks all.

Marrakesh would be my choice between the two.

If you were a 17 year old boy would you rather eat in a stuffy French restaurant or eat with pretty young girls dancing around. I was 17 once and I would not choose a French restaurant.

7 Likes

Haha, as the mom of two former 17 yo boys, I’d agree with you!
One of our best memories though was when we ran across a little French restaurant in Normady, they spoke little English and we spoke little French- we ordered the prix fixe for ALL of us. I think they were shocked that young American boys (and a girl) would eat it but they did ! Even the beef carpaccio. We just had a lovely evening in that little restaurant in the middle of rural France. Wonderful people, including all the other patrons. That’s the kind of memory that’s priceless. Sigh. Well- now it’s time to make some more- at Disney :grinning:

2 Likes

One of the best meals I’ve ever had was at a random, out-of-the-way restaurant in Paris. All I had was pizza and a small carafe of red wine. But they were both flawless. So delicious. Simple. Perfect.

4 Likes

^This. DW was all excited about the prospect of reliving some of our experiences eating in France, and I was thinking “Yeah, but Disney.” Unfortunately I was right, and CdF was an overall disappointing experience. In general we have found that the “international” aspects of restaurants at WS have been dumbed down to suit Americans (and, to be fair, coping with serving on a more massive scale).

We haven’t eaten at RM, but would probably choose it over CdF as we have less experience with authentic Moroccan food and therefore it has a lower bar to clear.

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more - plus it’s crowded, noisy, and the CMs were not very friendly (Monsieur Paul, on the other hand is one of the best restaurants in WDW). Marrakesh is stunningly beautiful inside and the music and dancing adds a nice atmosphere. The food is good; the apps and desserts are very good, I find the entrees rather bland. Neither are on my “top tier”, but if I had to choose between them, it would be Marrakesh all the way.

2 Likes

Definitely Marrakesh! We’ve enjoyed dining at both, but always more fun at Marrakesh. Once we had a very early dinner, my 5year old daughter was given belly dancing lessons. She talked about that more than meeting Mickey.

3 Likes

We love Chefs de France. So much so, that we haven’t tried any others in EPCOT.

1 Like

That’s great! I love that she talked about that more than meeting Mickey!

We just got back, and LOVED Chef de France.

2 Likes