What will replace DME?

Also guilty

3 Likes

Me too.

Did anyone get a confirmation? The field just cleared for me, no message, nothing.

3 Likes

No conf here either.

1 Like

I got nothing as of yet.

1 Like

Thatā€™s fine. I just found it odd, usually if you sign up or register you at least get a message on screen saying ā€œThanksā€ or ā€œWeā€™ll be in touch soonā€.

2 Likes

Like others, we always used Mears before DME. Weā€™re fine with Uber/Lyft so Iā€™m sure weā€™ll just use those. Weā€™ve already done so if we wanted to get there sooner than DME would get us there. I actually donā€™t think weā€™ve used DME for the return trip in several years, since we got TSA precheck.

1 Like

I signed up also. When itā€™s just DH and I traveling, Iā€™d be fine to use Uber/Lyft, but for the family trip of 7-9 people thatā€™s just not economical. I have no idea of the potential cost of renting a passenger van, but maybe that would be an option? The shuttle is just so much easier.

3 Likes

Just rented a 12 passenger van for $1315 for 10 days for July.

1 Like

Thanks ā€“ thatā€™s good to know as a point of reference when the shuttle pricing comes out. Paying an extra thousand+ dollars for each trip will make the trips significantly less frequent. which would suck.

3 Likes

You could also just hire a car service van to pick you up at the airport for a few hundred. I donā€™t use a rental car at wdw, and I hate driving in Orlando traffic.

3 Likes

For us we wouldnā€™t rent a car from the airport. DH is the only driver and he likes to throw off the jet lag over a couple of days before driving.

So it would either be Mears, taxi / ride share or a car service. The problem with a car service is that all the ones Iā€™ve looked at allow an hour from landing and charge extra if youā€™re more than 30 minutes after that. So 90 minutes after touch down. Now immigration and customs can vary wildly, weā€™ve been stuck for 3 hours before.

I do have the number of one who is a personal recommendation, so maybe he would be more flexible.

1 Like

Is this just a branding of what they already offer apart from DME? You can get a shuttle from Mears to Disney and Universal for $20-23 per person according to their normal website.

Good question. This press release mentions luggage, so maybe they are returning into an agreement with Bags, Inc to bring back luggage retrevial at the airport?
A girl can dream.

3 Likes

I ordered a van car service using Quicksilver Tours for my trip in May. They are taking me from WDW to UOR and back for less than $150. They also transport from the airport with a stop at a grocery store included. Iā€™ll report back my experience after my trip. They get good reviews.

9 Likes

Same thing happened to me. Hmmm

Here is the page where you can see rates for Quicksilver car service.

FYI-
I finally got a confirmation email from Mears stating that I was signed up and to expect more updates soon.

4 Likes

I just got one also!

Iā€™m nervous that luggage handling means helping you put it in the vehicle. I hope not because that was a huge pro and I loved not retrieving my bags after the flight.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s what I thought.

1 Like