What was your obsession before WDW?

Lol yes I have been to SPAC, MSG, Alpine and most recently Allstate Arena. @twophish may know who I’m talking about :grin:

2 Likes

It’s been a very long time for me. Let’s see. My obsession prior to Disney… Donny Osmond. I even painted my room purple, bought all the albums and wouldn’t buy any others for fear of seeming disloyal. Ah the innocence of youth.

3 Likes

I tend to jump to a new thing every several years, then return intermittently.

Pre-kids was a big skiier, but I suppose one of my longest running other obsessions is genealogy / family history. That one is good, because it can be a never-ending process so always something new to pursue. Especially since my wife has 6 different ancestries, which is much more complex than my measly 2 ancestries and knowing exactly where 3 of my grandparents came from and keeping in contact with cousins there in Ireland and the Czech Republic.

Hers are all over the place and they didn’t know too much info on any of them when I started!

2 Likes

Here are a few~
Hard Rock Cafe Pins: it got so bad that I knew what cities HRC were in and would ask anyone Itravelling to those locations to get me a pin.

Hallmark Christmas ornaments: we got a bigger tree this year and still didn’t put all of them out.

This one I am ashamed of: Beanie Babies, enough said. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

This reminds me! I used to love collecting teddy bears! Now I collect pansy things, and Doctor Who things, and MCU Loki things, and Van Gogh things.

1 Like

I was watching the new SheRa tonight with my DD (it’s so good), and it made me think of my long ago obsession with cartoons-when I was my daughter’s age, I loved quite a few shows and would say I was obsessed.

I used to have a ton of Disney Animation on VHS. I would watch them in the theater or when they became available for rental and then buy a copy, even if it was a film I didn’t like!

Disney has been a major aspect of my life as far back as I can remember. I first saw iasw in 1964 and it became a full-on childhood obsession; I still have an unnatural attraction to it (the DL version, not the MK knock-off)…

I’m not sure if this is an “obsession”, but other than Disney, I would have to say it’s the performing arts. I started in 5th grade with the clarinet, and now, nearly 50 years later, I can say that I have never not been in at least one performing group. I’ve played clarinet and/or sax and/or flute in concert, marching, symphonic, and jazz bands, full and chamber orchestras and as a soloist. If you include recorder and tine whistle, then you can add Renaissance and Celtic groups as well. As a singer I’ve performed in all imaginable kinds of choruses, oratorio societies, madrigal groups, barbershop choruses, and folk groups, and on stage have been in many musicals (often as a lead) and operas (chorus only). I have been a cantor and/or a choir director at various churches for over 35 years. I’ve also done my share of non-musical theater. For several years I was part of a demonstration team for Royal Scottish Country Dancing. For the 20 years of Active Duty in the Navy I was an instructor, and to me, that is just another avenue of performing. I believe that God gives everyone various gifts through the Holy Spirit, and I consider it part of my lifetime ministry to share those gifts with others. If I ever reach a point where I am not able to perform in at least some capacity, I would call into question the value of my life. So I guess maybe it is an “obsession”…

3 Likes

I tend to go in short bursts with my obsessions. I’ll focus on something for a few months, and then move onto something else that’s more “relevant” to my life at the moment.

• Knitting has been a longtime one - but I’m an on and off knitter. Some years I finish two sweaters, some, just the sleeves of one.
  • Gardening, in the spring and summer.
  • Camping and travel outside of Disney. I LOVE to do travel research so even the years we don’t go to FL, I’m doing some kind of reading about where we do plan to go. I want to hit every National Park, someday. Along with this, we do a lot of geocaching. I don’t know that I’m obsessed about it, but I support DH’s obsession.
  • Board games - again this one is somewhat in support of DH’s obsession. We probably have over 100 games, and play at least a couple nights a week.
  • Reading - especially fantasy books… and twists on fairy tales. I guess that fits with Disney, doesn’t it?
  1. What are your favorite games?

2. I highly recommend The Queen’s Gambit by Beth Brower. Best book (or series, since I read all three) I’ve read in a very long time.

Thanks - it’s on my goodreads list, now. I’ll never get through my list… but someday the kids will grow up and I’ll find more time to read. Right?

Oh - this is such a loaded topic. I really love co-op games and “story” games. Right now my favorites are Arkham Horror 3rd Edition, Above and Below, Charterstone, My Little Scythe, 7 Wonders, Azul, Clank, Stuffed Fables.
Oh no, I’m looking through my list and coming up with too many favorites! Maybe I’ll start a new thread so we don’t hijack this one. That way I can categorize…

1 Like

I’m not really sure they would be categorized as obsessions, but…

1. I started directing a choir after college, which I did for 7 1/2 years. (Well longer, if you then add in the additional time I then spent directing children’s choir.) We did a cantata each Christmas and Spring, and usually it involved me re-writing the script for it, or sometimes writing the script from scratch because I’d piece together the songs from multiple sources. I also spent a year writing a complete cantata, including all original music for choir and band, which we performed.
  2. After this, I was then more focusing on writing, and spent countless hours on the on-line writer’s group forums, wrote a couple novels, numerous short stories, tons of editing/critiquing for others, etc.
  3. Related to this, I was approached to writing a script for a dinner theater at our church. It was a Christmas program about 4 people who get stuck in an elevator at a mall on Christmas eve. It was a comedy, and I was extremely proud of it. When you hear the audience laugh at each joke you INTENDED to be a joke, it is a glorious feeling. I had never written comedy before then.
  4. After a couple of ghost-writing projects, I just found I didn’t have the time necessary to devote to writing, and while it never left me, I kind of put it on hiatus. My focus was more on my family, including family vacation planning!
1 Like

Move it to the top! :smile:

1 Like

I’ve always had a Disney obsession, reinforced in college when I did a marketing project on the company, shortly followed by my honeymoon with a stay at the Grand Floridian. Other than Disney, I’ve also been known to spend too much of my money on scrapbooking. That’s taken a back seat to straight up photography - gear is expensive!

I know what you mean- my father’s family is straight from the Old Country where they lived in the same area for a thousand years, or at least as far as records go. But my mother’s is typical American mix “Heinz 57” she would call it- all branches started here pre-Revolutionary war but were highly mobile and very hard to track as they moved West.

1 Like

I have a BFA in darkroom photography and haven’t replaced my film SLRs with digital…on my someday list!