What on earth is @mousematt up to now?

Pretty much.

4 Likes

This thread has not been the festival of support I was hoping for.

As a punishment for your snark, I’m going to explain my date choices.

There are two factors.

First is when I am willing to give myself time off. In principle, it can be any time. But mostly the opportunity cost is too high. Or (as last March) I end up having to work on vacation.

My students are preparing for exams that end in mid-June. So any time before then is bad.

The second factor is flight prices. These are considerably cheaper outside the school holidays. Although the exams end in mid-June, term doesn’t end until mid-July.

So there is a one month window that is ideal both professionally and financially.

Less importantly, my Virgin Gold status ends at the end of July, and my UOR AP ends in mid-October.

8 Likes

Here’s a little Carnival of support instead.

14 Likes

The serious hard work has now begun.

I’m feeling a bit clueless. I’ve got to figure out length of trip, dates, flights and hotel(s). Not really sure on any of those.

4 Likes

I beg to differ :rofl:

9 Likes

I’m superenjoying all the mattbashing, but I’ll add two quick legitimate Boston/NYC recs (and I have loads more as I’ve lived in both places):

Cannoli at Mike’s Pastry in the North End of Boston

And go to the “Treasures” exhibit on the main floor of the NY Public Library at Bryant Park. Yes it’s cool to see the reading room where some dudes busted some ghosts in the early 80s but you can also see one of the original Gutenberg Bibles as well as the original Winnie-the-Pooh and friends stuffies. For free. (Though the silly old bear and his friends may prompt a new love of collections for you…)

13 Likes

Sigh……Modern Pastry….

Something fun and unusual that can’t be done anywhere else in the US?

3 Likes

With you mentioning a priority of smelling the roses and also spending some time in DS, I’ll throw POFQ out there. Enjoy a quiet small resort, a serene boat ride, beignets, live jazz music, etc. Not much pricier than a value.

Can’t remember if you’ve stayed there. I’m only remembering Pop and All Stars and possibly CSR.

7 Likes

I second POFQ as a possibility.

After our June 2021 trip we vowed never to go near Florida at that time of year again. But hey if you enjoy sweating and more sweating and feeling like you’re on the surface of the sun, go for it.

The New England Aquarium in Boston was superb 20 years ago. If it still is, then it is an absolute must.

7 Likes

I’m certainly up for visiting the resort, but . . .

ASMu is £632. POFQ is £1,000.

Correct. And YC. And an awful stay at the Poly.

That’s easy to say, but I am very limited in when I can go. Flight prices change significantly and I can’t give myself time off during term time. It’s June / July / August or not at all this year. And not really August because the prices are too high.

6 Likes

Well yeah it also gets pretty expensive if you’re a lush.

8 Likes

:scream: shots fired!!

10 Likes

Is that not what you meant when you said your trip was expensive or do you just object to the terminology? :rofl:

8 Likes

Your lawyer says you don’t have to answer that.

7 Likes

My guess would be it’s the realization that they are synonymous

5 Likes

Well it’s not exactly a complimentary description :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I wasn’t actually referring to anything in particular that make my trips expensive, but yes overall it is food and drink :joy:

6 Likes

The state rests its case, Your Honor.

7 Likes

Defense files a countersuit for libel :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Spending decent money on Disney food and drink is hardly lush level :laughing: (yup sticking to that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

6 Likes

For resort tours, take an evening and go see Yee Ha Bob. He was the absolute highlight of my most recent trip. I was at POR not by choice, but after watching him 2 nights in a row and realizing I could take a $10 Lyft from the parking lot behind my building instead of the 15m walk to the bus stop, and watching the horse drawn carriage under the Spanish moss in the moonlight, I decided I loved POR.

10 Likes

Truth! Especially when you have a family larger than 4 people!

5 Likes