What is the point of World Showcase

It probably will be if you want it.

Don’t be bitter just because I’m special.

1 Like

Too late.

1 Like

At least you’ll get to laugh at me when I get to POFQ and have no magic bands because they didn’t ship them at all.

It’s pretty much all I think about. If I can’t have what I want, no-one else should be able to have what they want.

I’ve already called POFQ and, in my best falsetto, told the front desk to “kindly dispose of any magic bands in the name of Miss Overexcited as I no longer want them”. I also asked “for a view of the car park, please.”

1 Like

The joke is on you then. My requested room actually does have a view of the car park. I don’t have a balcony and I keep the blinds shut, what do I care?

I’m a bit upset about those bands though. I don’t know how you figured out my real name. Maybe I need to change my username. Perhaps mouseoverexcited will disguise me.

1 Like

The joke’s on you. I just called them back as you and said I didn’t care what the view was as long as it’s not Cinderella Castle. So they’ve moved you to the Cindarella Suite. Ha! Not only will you not be able to see any car parks from there, you won’t be able to see the Castle from there, which I know is what you really wanted. You’ll be stuck seeing every part of MK except the Castle and you’ll never get an early night because of the fireworks.

Not only is that a brilliant disguise, it’s also a clever pun.

2 Likes

Damn you. I bow to your evil genius.

I know right?!

2 Likes

BThe original concept for World Showcase was part of EPCOT, as in the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow.

Future World was the work, World Showcase was the “play”. Only Mexico totally followed Walt’s concept, being indoors, thus reflecting the fact that this is the evening, hence the dim lighting etc.

But each pavilion has architecture reflecting or inspired by it’s country. By that I mean we have replicas of certain building, structures:

Norway - Stave Church
China - the Peace Temple
Italy - St Mark’s Square (mirrored, allegedly in error)
Germany - St George and the Dragon statue
Japan - Torii Gate
Morocco - Minaret, and an actual prayer room
UK - Hampton Court Palace
Canada - Chateau Laurier, Butchart Gardens

And also buildings that reflect the architecture of the country, for example:

Norway - the facade comes from 4 different towns / cities in Norway
Germany - the figures on the shops
Italy - inspired by the Trevi fountain
Japan - pagoda
Morocco - a typical house, souk (bazar)
France - a represenatative shopping arcade, and the Eiffel Tower
U.K. - the 3-in-1 pub (country, seaside, town), and the 4 centuries of shops, Cherry Tree Lane (kinda, a Georgian row of town houses)
Canada - the totem poles at least

And then of course there are samples of shopping, dining from each country. And rides / films / attractions based on something related, be it a related IP, a not-really-related-but-we’ll-shove-it-in-anyway IP (because the corporate funding had stopped and Disney could do what they wanted), a tourist film, museum etc. And entertainment from each country.

The US pavilion was originally going to be where the WS Plaza is, between Canada and Mexico. But then they realised that since most visitors came from the US, they probably wouldn’t bother going any further. So they put it at the far end of the lagoon, and created a hill / mound to make the pavilion stand above the rest of the countries.

So what’s the point of WS now? I guess to showcase different parts of the world. Supported by corporate funding and staffed by young people from the countries in question.

Morocco is the only pavilion directly funded by the government there. They send out workmen every year to do any repairs and maintenance. And then they will painstakingly deface a couple of tiles somewhere, in keeping with their belief that only Allah can create perfection. Usually it’s in the museum, on the wall, but can also be in the house part of the building.

2 Likes

I’ve always liked WS for what it is, a very small and kind of naive representation of (some elementof) certain countries. I’ve travelled to all the actual countries aside from Morocco but my kids haven’t yet, so it has been in interesting to see their reaction. I think they’ve picked up some facts, ideas or just vibes of some of the countries. While we toured them I also tried to explain what some of the features and references are and how they compare to the actual countries.

So yea, I think it serves it purpose and is interesting, as long as you don’t take it too seriously and assume you get a full and correct representation of anything.

We really love WS. The main function of it for us is to reminisce. We don’t usually go to the Pavilions that we haven’t visited IRL. The kids spent a huge amount of time in Japan, DS27 has visited and the others just love the culture, I think this is true of a lot of gamers/anime enthusiasts.

I dusted off my rusty Italian to order food (isn’t that the first thing everyone learns when they go abroad, lol?) and I ordered our Limoncello ice pops, which made the CM there smile. I think they really appreciate it if you try, even a little, to relate to their home country.

In terms of buying stuff, it’s definitely true that its a bit of a tourist trap but there are a lot of items in WS that are unique to the countries there, both at WDW and IRL. Green tea Kit Kats, for one. :persevere:

Norway was the only place I bought anything for myself the entire trip- partly to reminisce but also because we can’t get those things were we live, yet we can really use them. It’s really high-quality stuff and the AP discount came in very handy. The kids dug out their new Helly Hansen jackets before we even left the airport to go to our house.

It was below freezing last night at home, and snowed while we were gone. What a shock to the system!

Also, The Voices of Liberty are just plain awesome.

2 Likes

This is my favorite part of WS.
I also like the cool darkness of Mexico midday.