What are the Nails on a Chalkboard Things that your Non-Disney Loving Friends and Relatives Say About WDW

When I tell someone that we are going to Orlando, the response is always: “Oh, you going to Disney World?” I say: “Well…yes, plus other places!”

Gotta show some love to Universal. (No disrespect to WDW) :wink:

3 Likes

The only time I’ve been to DL was 1996. I was at WDW twice before that. DL was tiny back then compared to WDW. I would love to go back and see the difference. It is something I plan to do in the future. But for those who haven’t been there for years, their perspective is that DL is tiny.

I loved the ease of DL to the GREAT expanse of WDW. By ease I mean, closeness, less hurt on my feet with the miles and miles and miles of WDW. :rofl:

1 Like

One of my biggest teeth gritters as well.

Yes I’m going AGAIN.
No, I don’t ever get tired of going.
Do you ever get tired of asking stupid questions? (In my best Trace Adkins voice)

7 Likes

Sounds like some kind of ThunderCats ride.

1 Like

This needs to happen

2 Likes

Now it’s more akin to USF size/area wise but more akin to WDW attraction number wise. So WDW number of attractions in a USF amount of space with cooler & drier weather (wind does cancel fireworks though) and a beautiful Downtown Disney district right there like CityWalk to Universal Studios. And with the Grand Californian having a private entrance into the park…so nice. In other words Disneyland is my version of heaven. You should 100% put it high on the to do list especially if you love dark rides like I do. Alice in Wonderland, Mr. Toad, Snow White, Pinocchio, Peter Pan, Monsters Inc., Winnie the Pooh, Little Mermaid, Buzz, Toy Story… Oh My. The Tomorrowland section is better imho opinion with a better version of Space Mtn, the submarines, and a better speedway in Autopia plus it just looks nicer and the monorail brings you in there. The Indy ride and Treehouse are better in Adventureland. Now they have SWGE. You cannot beat the food and ambience of New Orleans with the best Pirates and the Haunted Mansion overlay is incredible. Incredicoaster and Cars are fabulous top attractions you cannot get at WDW. With the new Marvel land coming soon, Soarin’ and redo of the Tower of Terror into Guardians of the Galaxy plus the best water raft ride I’ve ridden in America (the one in Shanghai Disney is better) California Adventure is a great park now. Plus the Hyperion Theater puts on fabulous shows and I really like the Animation building in Hollywood for killing some time in some A/C. I could go on and on about why I like Disneyland better but you’ll just have to see and compare for yourself because some people don’t agree. Someone once told me on here where you went first as a child is where you prefer and I will admit Disneyland came first as I have family in Cali.

1 Like

Except one glaring omission: PeopleMover! They need to bring back PeopleMover! (Forget about the stupid Rocket Rods fiasco!) But…they should bring it back more Incredibles style with the little pod thingies like in the first movie.

2 Likes

I concede that point about PeopleMover. I miss it too. And they still have the passageways up there. I’d also rather have Carousel of Progress or the House of the Future than the Marvel meet & greet and video games. Wonder if that’ll get replaced with the addition of the new Marvel land.
I forgot the RR is better too with the tunnel and dioramas!

There’s a lot of room for improvement there. I was just listening to a podcast - Wedway Radio? - and they were discussing the guest’s idea for re-vamping TL at DLR. It included a Wall-e dark ride in place of Buzz! I would so be down with that!

2 Likes

Instead they should put that where the Marvel Meet&Greet is. I like Buzz.

Or where the old Captain EO theater is they just do movie previews at now.

I think they had other plans for that area. This guy’s point was that Buzz doesn’t really fit the TL theme. I like it ok, but wouldn’t mind seeing it go. I think he also thought they should get rid of Autopia and actually create a new land, making TL smaller. It was really interesting. I don’t see this stuff happening, but I love imagining what could be. The thing that gave me heartburn was he doesn’t think Star Tours should be in TL either. :frowning: I could see Buzz go altogether and be okay with it, but Star Tours? No!

1 Like

There’s definitely a lot of space in TL to do some cool things. I hope someday they focus on that.

While Star Tours is a great ride, it really doesn’t belong to TL. Everyone knows the very first words of everything Star Wars is: “A Long Time Ago…”

Tomorrowland isn’t the same as saying “Sci-Fi land”. I like to think of it as what the future was imagined to be some number of years ago. That way it doesn’t have to necessarily be cutting edge…only that it represents what once used to be thought of as cutting edge of the future.

I do agree that Buzz doesn’t really belong there, nor does the Scare Floor for that matter (in MK). A PERFECT fit for TL at MK was ExtraTerrorestrial Alien Encounter. May it rest in peace.

1 Like

Exactly. This guy was talking about a sense of optimism about the future being the underlying theme of TL. He also talked about the early days where everything was kind of transportation based - PM, Monorail, etc. That may not be the way to go in the future of TL, not that we should get rid of the PM.

1 Like

Unpopular opinion, perhaps, but I don’t really like Buzz. I mean, it’s fine, but the precision of the blaster is so bad that it makes it less fun for me. Toy Story Midway Mania is SO much better, IMO. I like interactive rides, but they can be more frustrating than fun if they are poorly designed.

4 Likes

Then again, right now the “future of transportation” in this country (and the world) is electrification, autonomous vehicles, and improving the infrastructure for public transit in general. So, it isn’t really all that different from what it was in the 50s! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Kind of fascinating to think about that the “future” has turned into needing less transportation, not necessarily better transportation! There are still some cool innovations in transport, of course. And transport adds kinetics to the land that makes it more lively and energetic.

2 Likes

My kids used to really love Autopia before one of them could legally drive that and the other has a gokart that goes much faster. LOL But it’s sooooo much better than MK version. However, it would be nice if they could replace the gas guzzlers with something interactive kids could “drive” that didn’t smell so bad. And a change of scenery is always nice. I think they should keep the track, replace the cars and make the scenery more themed and fun but I don’t like the idea of completely scrapping it for a new land.