What are "Reservation" points

Today, the reseller contacted me to let me know that they are just waiting for Disney to finalize the sale from which the points will be given to me from. We are owed 120 points, but they are actually giving us 125 points.

Anyhow, I asked if they ever determine what happened to the missing points. They said that Disney said the 120 points were “Reservation” points, and when a contract is sold, reservation points just go away (are not transferred). The reseller is still pressing Disney on why this was not caught in ROFR, as it should have been.

Regardless, I am left wondering what “Reservation” points are. This is a term I haven’t heard of. Thought maybe someone here might know.

1 Like
2 Likes

They must have had a reservation they could not use.

1 Like

Thanks. That explains it, then.

This, fundamentally, makes it kind of the fault of the original owners, the resellers, and Disney, because the original owners would have traded their normal points for reservations, knowingly. The resellers should have been aware of this before listing it with those points…and Disney absolutely should have caught it during ROFR.

Well, anyway, in the end, we’ll get an extra 5 points out of the mishap, which works out to our benefit, even if only slightly so. At a going rate of $20/pt on the rental market, that’s essentially a bonus $100. Since we were planning to borrow a few points for our first trip anyhow, this means we’ll have to borrow fewer points!

4 Likes

Interesting! Who is giving you the 125 pionts? Disney?

1 Like

No. The reseller is. Disney refuses to budge that the original 120 points are not available, even though they passed it through ROFR.

The reseller is transferring 125 points from another SSR contract with a use year that works for us because otherwise they are in violation of the contractual agreement. They only needed to transfer 120, but they said they will transfer the 125.

1 Like

Oh ok, that makes more sense! I was shocked Disney was going to give you a thing as resale scum. Is this something they “catch” during ROFR or isn’t this the purpose of the annoying “estoppel” period?

It sounds like they should have caught this at ROFR, because they should have noticed that the points declared in the contract didn’t match the actual points. This is different from estoppel, I guess, in that there it is looking for if something CHANGED from what was originally declared…but even if they hadn’t caught it during ROFR, it should have also been caught at estoppel.

I don’t know why WE were the ones to experience such (bad) luck in this that it was missed several times. But it should all work out in the end. I’m just glad we hadn’t planned to schedule a trip in the very near future, because the delays in correcting this mistake could have made that impossible. Fortunately, we are planning our next trip for Dec. 2022, so there is time.

2 Likes

Sounds incredibly frustrating! I was in your shoes when we bought both of our contracts with trips far out on the horizon, but I know plenty of people are counting the days for those points!

1 Like

I don’t know if the reseller would be able to see the restriction of those points? I think if they were in holding it would show but I wonder what it would look like in an account if they were restricted reservation points?

I am always amazed that long time owners don’t understand some restrictions when they use their points in the collections or when they cancelled at the last minute.

3 Likes

b/c it’s all confusing and they don’t really make it easy to understand. Thank goodness for the forum to help :wink:

1 Like

Amen to that! :slight_smile:

Yeah. I’m wondering this myself. I would think the points would be “gone” from the DVC account, since they would be transferred to some other system (RCI, etc)…but then, if so, why didn’t the reseller notice? And even after they knew Disney wasn’t going to credit back the points, the reseller still didn’t understand why without inquiring with Disney directly about it.

I guess in a weird sort of way, it makes me happy to think no one intentionally mislead anyone, and it was a bit of a comedy of errors at play. I would hate to think the sellers intentionally tried to get away with something. (I suppose that still could be the case, but seems less likely so.)

3 Likes

I know this is super late but I’m on a flight and bored so checking out older threads I missed!

I sold a contract this past summer and had to send the reseller a screenshot of my dashboard. If the points showed on the dashboard, they would have no way of knowing they were reservation points. The reseller never had access to my DVC account to look at those details themselves. But I did sign something saying these points were available and that I would not do anything with them during escrow. I place blame firmly on the owner. Maybe they didn’t understand but knowingly or unknowingly they attested to something that was not true.

2 Likes

I tend to agree with you. I think the owners are first and foremost at fault, whether they unwittingly or knowingly made this mistake.

But, it is a comedy of errors, since the broker also didn’t catch, and Disney didn’t catch it…twice! :slight_smile:

3 Likes