What advice would you give

I have been seeing a lot of vlogs recently where they say “I just snagged this park reservation last night” so maybe they’d have a chance of getting something last minute? If they can get any park at all, even epcot, then they can probably hop at 2:00 to which ever park they want to spend time at. That would make me so nervous though, to spend all that $$$ and be banking it on a hope for a last minute reservation…

5 Likes

To be fair, it sounds like this was a rescheduled trip from pre-pandemic. I’m not certain she’s ever been on the site. Sounds like she did everything via phone… so could be a bad CM interaction…

4 Likes

Well, I do have sympathy. It’s been a long sucky year and I hope they get some pixie dust.

8 Likes

or info overload… the CM told her but just too much to think about etc.

4 Likes

It does look like there are annual passholder slots available so perhaps the CMs on site can help force something through if needed…

2 Likes

I did this for my sister’s trip that ended up being cancelled in March of 2020. On her fast pass day she tried ONCE on her phone, according to her there was nothing available. She told me she would just stand in line, because that’s what she did in the early 90’s when she went as a kid. She told me this a week after her fast pass day.
I felt like I was getting an ulcer knowing how much she was spending, and how she wasn’t going to have a great time without planning. I was able to get them some great FPP’s, even got her Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railroad the first day that they dropped the fast passes. Like I said, the trip was cancelled, but I hated that feeling of knowing she was setting herself up for disappointment. I think some people just don’t really get that you have to do some planning.

8 Likes

…maybe? But whenever I’ve been on the line since reopening - whether as a TA or a “regular person” they have gone over all policies with me even if I say I know them.

1 Like

My thoughts are similar to others.

1. Make what park reservations you can right-this-second and check every few hours (or as often as you’re able to) to see if you can grab something else
    1a. Go to Guest Services, explain that you misunderstood when it was possible to make a reservation, throw yourself at their feet and beg for help. Well, ok, maybe not the throwing at feet part, but the rest of it.

2. Take advantage of park hopping to get to different parks that you can’t get reservations for

3. Think creatively about how to experience WDW without the parks. Obviously, visit the resort pool and consider other SS activities, like the campfire and bike rentals. See if you can get any resort-based character meals. Consider taking the bus to MK but ride the monorail to Poly and walk through (and let the 5 year old play at the playground there) and/or the boat to FW and experience some of their activities (wagon/pony rides, boat rental, fishing, canoe, etc.). Explore AKL and watch the animals. Walk to Disney Springs, if you like shopping.

10 Likes

Oh, my goodness, this is beyond heartbreaking. I’m still trying to learn all the new stuff from the last 15 years, and it’s giving me angina. I can’t imagine showing up for only 4 days without park reservations or a plan of any kind.

Reminds me of a story (what doesn’t remind me of a story?!) – the last time I was in WDW (September 2006), on our last night, I was out by the pool watching my bad kids swim and play, and another small family came along. Well, mom and kids came. This was at the Pop Century in the 50’s section, quiet pool. Kids jumped in pool, all started playing together nicely, and mom and I struck up a conversation.

It was their first time at Disney, and she had absolutely no idea what to expect. I was gobsmacked. I mean, it just took my breath away. She had no earthly idea what to do. I tried to be gentle but firm that she needed a plan, and I went back to my room, got my battered Unofficial Guide, and tore out all the touring plan pages that I hadn’t already used.

Never got her name, never knew what happened to her; I don’t know if she used the plans or tried to wing it – back then, things were simpler, but still, the touring plans were better than just wandering around looking at all the queues filling up. I like to think that she and her clan slept in the next day, went to the MK, and discovered their error. And then after that, she used the touring plans even though she didn’t necessarily know what everything meant. There were maps, after all. She must have been able to suss out something from that trip.

Fingers crossed, anyway, I did what I could. … But I still worry about her! LOL!

9 Likes

@eeeevah I feel your pain! Looking at the theme park availability calendar is giving me anxiety just thinking about it! Do you know if she went in and made some park reservations yet? At least if they can get a park reserved, they can park hop later. But it looks like most of their days are not available at all, so hoping they’ve reserved something in these last three hours.

3 Likes

Maybe we’re all overthinking this? A lot of us have made comments like “If I could just walk down Main Street and see the castle (or tree or whatever), it would be great after this last year. Any rides would just be a bonus.”

I mean, obviously, probably need to get them INTO the parks, but maybe they really don’t have any expectations so will have a great time regardless? If they are expecting stadium concession type food, they’ll have no idea what they’re missing out on, for instance.

8 Likes

I second this. I’m on the other end of the planning spectrum and my family has the best time just wandering and being nomads.

1. Hope for CM’s to help with PR’s. If not tag Epcot, enjoy the best park every morning, and hop after 2.

2. give a number to text if there are any questions

3. Maybe throw them an email with your personal favorite spots for quick service, favorite attractions, etc. No one who hasn’t done tour planning will miss it…because they don’t know it’s a thing!

So I would say something like “Hey! Have THE BEST time! Here’s my number if you have any questions. Enjoy the wonder of the parks! Also, my family really loves the pretzels from the German Pavillion, SE, and touring the pyramid. If you get a chance to hop over to AK in the afternoon, EE is a fun thrill ride or you can explore the Tree and take a safari! See if you can stop by to get last-minute Y&Y reservations or *insert favorite QS here”.

Above all…you don’t panic @eeeevah :orange_heart: You have a kind heart in hoping to make their vacation the best, but some things are just out of our control! And no hopping into their luggage!

13 Likes

I agree with @Bubblez. Great ideas to point out highlights in the parks for them to look for. Also, it sounds like you will need to explain park hopping in great detail if they are going to go that route.

I tried to help my SIL plan one time, but she didn’t want any help. She said it would be fine. This was 2018 I think. They literally walked up to the gate and bought 3-day tickets around noon on Day 1, walked into the park right then during the height of Easter week, and reported that they had a fabulous trip. Who knows what they actually got to do but they didn’t have ADRs and didn’t even know FPP was a thing (even after the trip)! Of course, this was before APRs.

10 Likes

This is great advice!

3 Likes

I don’t think a lot of planning is required right now but if they want to go to Disney they probably want to go into the parks.

6 Likes

Me:
kramer

23 Likes

When they attempt this, tell your friend to dress the 5 yr old in a super cute outfit, holding her favorite stuffed Disney character, and force some big fat tears (without any whining, of course) and look straight into the CM’s eyes. :laughing:

9 Likes

Ha! My family will actually be heading there later this week, so we’ll overlap with her for a few days already! I have two BoG reservations (neither of which are at a perfect time), so I’m already thinking of trying to cancel one and rebook for her just so she has something!!

Also, update for the larger followers here - does sound like she has Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom passes, but she clearly doesn’t know what that means. She’s going to send an email later with her details, but I’m breathing easier now.

This has all been great advice so far!

11 Likes

I have not read the responses–just your first post and I am so worried for them. I’m getting stressed and anxious.

5 Likes

I completely agree.

5 Likes