We're Rewatching all the Pixar Films!

Why isn’t anyone talking about Elemental? :thinking:

2 Likes

Idk–we watched it the other day though, and it’s so good!! I wasn’t that excited about it, but I really liked it.

Pruning :rofl: Remember that part?

2 Likes

I loved Elemental! I still haven’t watched it again since the theater, but my kids watched it on Disney+ last week and still enjoyed it.

It was a bit of a sleeper hit. It didn’t make a big splash when it debuted, but it now has $487M at the worldwide box office, which is really good for a post-Covid film. That’s more than Ant-Man and The Flash, for example.

6 Likes

I thought the animation - and the actual story were great. I just wanted something more out of it. An important story like that, I wanted a better script? Which is silly, because at the end of the day it is just an animated film.
I’m going to give it some time and then try it again!

3 Likes

We never got a chance this summer to make it to a theater for Elemental but watched it the day or so after it came to Disney+. I went looking for an Elemental thread here to see if there was general discussion to read others and share my own thoughts, but didn’t find anything dedicated, so moved along on my foruming catching-up.

But since this is where it seems to be being discussed: loved it. It hit really close to home being the daughter of an immigrant and married to the son of 2 immigrants who were also refugees. But it was a beautiful illustration in kid-friendly terms of some very real struggles & themes of immigrants and coming of age, not exactly the same, but in the same vein as Turning Red. And for as long as Pixar wants to tell these stories, I’m here for it!

I do think there were some very predictable storylines which isn’t usually the norm for Pixar, so I can see why there are criticisms of story/script. But I was very much moved by it still, and the animation was really beautiful to me. So lots for me to love about it.

4 Likes