Website/App confusion

Hi! We are taking our first trip in August. I’m a little confused. There are 2 websites. Universal Orlando Resort and Universal Orlando Vacations. My reservation can be found under Vacations but not in UOR website. Can I link it? What is the difference between the two? Also, the app doesn’t have my reservation. Can I link it to the app? Thank you!!

1 Like

Yeah… Universal isn’t up to speed like the MyDisneyExperience App. You can’t link anything. The Universal Vacations website is what is provided when you buy a package through Universal. UV will send you an e-mail with E-Travel documents for your trip. This info is what you’ll need to get your tickets. It is required that you bring an actual paper copy of your E-Travel documents with you to get your tickets. (Is it still 1998 at USF ??)

The Universal Resorts App is a little more like the MDE App. However, it’s mostly just for wait times & a park map. You can buy tickets through it, but that’s not really for vacation packages – it’s more for “pop-in” visits.

You really won’t need anything from the Universal Orlando Vacation / E-Documents once you get your tickets (You’ll get the tickets either at your hotel – if you are staying at an “official” USF hotel or by going to a Will Call kiosk if staying offsite)

Does that help? If you have more questions or I wasn’t clear, please, let me know.

5 Likes

I’m a newbie to Universal, too, and am trying to get used to the Universal app on the Iphone before my trip next week (eek!). I just set up a credit card to the account to make Mobile purchases easier but do I really “need” to link the park tickets to my account on the app? (I bought our tickets through a third party vendor, not Universal). Is there any benefit to linking my tickets to this app?

Also, if I attach my entire travel party’s tickets to this account, can I then scan us all into the park using just my app?

I’m so used to MyDisneyExperience that I’m feeling awkward/confused that I don’t have my park tickets or hotel reservation linked to the Universal app.

I’ll start by saying I, too, am a MDE pro and love it. I, also, love Universal. However, Universal’s App is years behind what MDE can do. I haven’t used mobile purchases because of this.

Personally, I don’t use the app much at all as it isn’t set-up well “in-park” and can be a headache. The scanners don’t read QR codes well. You can spend minutes waving your phone around trying to get a tapstile or register to read your phone. It’s very frustrating.

Using the Universal App is totally optional. You don’t have to link your tickets or reservations. (FYI – The Universal reservations system & Universal Park app are different systems and don’t talk to each other like MDE)

I still have a lanyard with a pouch I wear from my Disney days before MagicBands to carry my tickets / photo pass in. I use it for Universal now. I use hard tickets / photo pass vouchers at Universal.

I’m not telling you not to use the App, just don’t expect MDE / MagicBand results.

3 Likes

Thank you! That was very helpful!

2 Likes

I know this thread is a couple years old, but it seems like all this is still true. We are working on planning a trip in a couple months, and I keep thinking I’m missing something…where is the MDE??? Guess it does not exist at Universal. Thanks for filling me in!

I liked using the UOR app for the parking location, the Universal Pay for purchases, and the map is nice. Laminated tickets are handy for entry and lockers:

1 Like

Thanks!

Yes, MDE is only for Disney. I get frustrated by the Universal app but I am going to try it again in a couple of weeks.

Oh, so I need to bring my little laminator with me since we’ll be picking up our tickets at the hotel? Ha.

1 Like

Welcome! Ask anything and often!

I do realize this is a joke. However, for anyone considering this, be careful!!! Not all tickets can withstand the heat of a laminator! It can blur or distort the QRC code. Universal has made big steps in their app and around the parks. Showing your tickets via your phone is now pretty standard. Most ppl will wear a lanyard with a plastic pouch attached to keep paper tickets safe & dry!

2 Likes

Ha!

I printed my tickets on paper. You should be fine with the ticket card!

That’s a relief. Now they won’t need to say to me: “Sir! I need to see your WHOLE ticket” :rofl:

1 Like