Weather for late January

I have been to WDW in January’s before but it has been a bit. I have a 6mo DD and a 4yo DD that I didn’t have before. So wondering about weather expectations and packing appropriately. We have a few days planned before a Disney Cruise on the Canaveral/Nassau/Castaway loop. So I’m concerned about clothing for it too really. I also cross posted to the Cruise board. But we have a lot more traffic here! Anyone have recommendations/advice?? TIA!!!

We went in late January this year and it was cold and rainy (like jacket and gloves cold). But FL weather is weird so be prepared for anything–sorry that isn’t super helpful.

2 Likes

yea. it can go either way. we went in January 2017 and a cold front blew in. was glad I had my winter coat. I don’t know that it will be super warm, but I think it’s unusual to be heavy coat weather

1 Like

We’ve done that time of year too and had some shorts days and some long pants/sweaters days. Add that to the cold & rainy possibilities and sadly, I agree that you need to pack everything from bathing suits to toques.

2 Likes

Went very end of January/first week of February this year. Weather ranged from 40s to upper 70s. Very pleasant really. The week before we went though it was rainy and super cold so I think it could do anything really.

1 Like

We’ve gone the last 3 years at the end of January/first week of February and it can be cold in the morning and it warms up. We start out in long pants with a hoodie usually and end up removing layers. But I guess it depends where you’re from. We’re from Canada (Ottawa) so we think that 65 degrees is hot for January. The Brazilians thought the opposite.

1 Like

I’d bring shorts and t shirts, and jeans and hoodies. Bring two pairs of shoes in case it rains, but tennis shoes work fine whether it’s hot or cold. One year we had a heatwave with highs around 85. The normal is for highs in the low 70’s. Mornings usually are chilly though, so we always wore hoodies and then tied them around our waists as the days warmed up.

2 Likes

We went in January this year and packed layers for everyone. Most days were warm enough for a tank top by the afternoon and I actually felt hot and started sweating a few times. In the morning and evening, we had sweatshirts or jackets to wear and my 2 year old wore a hat. But one day, it was really overcast and windy and we wore our winter coats which we had worn onto the airplane. We were in WS that day, so I think the openness of the lake made it worse.

1 Like

Late January weather is awesome unless you absolutely hate cool weather. We need jeans and long sleeves most mornings, but not real jackets. Probably 50 degrees. By afternoon if we came back to the hotel we’d put on shorts. The first we got was about 82 one day.

1 Like

I’m looking forward to the coolness in January. I did July (omg so hot!) and September this year (hot, but bearable compared to July). I’ve been in Jan/Feb time frame a couple times, and I recall anything from shorts & t-shirts to jeans/hoodie weather. We did mid-Dec before a cruise in 2017 and it was around 45F and we were so cold! :cold_face: So, be prepared for anything.

1 Like

We did Universal and then a Disney cruise this past January. The day we arrived in Orlando was very warm, high of 80 or so and we went swimming that afternoon. The next day was much cooler and rained in the morning. We wore jeans and sweatshirts (and raincoats). We took off layers as the rain stopped and the sun came out. Never got warm enough for shorts that day. The next few days were very cold in the mornings (30’s or low 40’s). We did long sleeves under sweatshirts and added gloves. It warmed up as the day went on but only to the 50’s. The weather remained similar on a non park day before our cruise except that day rained the whole day.

Once we got to the port for our cruise it was cooler and we needed sweatshirts for the sale away party. The ship was comfortable when not on the open decks but the pool deck area was windy and cool in Port Canaveral. Once we got to the Bahamas it was shorts and short sleeve weather and very comfortable. I think it was in the high 70’s-low 80’s and very nice. Especially since we were on Castaway, swimming in bathing suits in the ocean, the day the Polar Vortex hit our home and it was -20 there!

I found this to be one of the harder trips to pack for. We needed such a variety of clothes. I think we each packed a few pairs of jeans for travel and the pairs, a few long sleeve shirts and a hoodie. We then had more short sleeve shirts and a few pairs of shorts. We had driven so had the space and I packed a few suitcases just for the cruise (with shorts, swimsuits) and a few that we left in our vehicle with our warmer clothes during the cruise. We also left our winter coats in the vehicle.
Orlando was still in a cold front when we got off the cruise but the Bahamas were beautiful!

1 Like