Wearing Eyeglasses on Rollercoasters

These are what I wear at places like Six Flags…

I was witness to this same event, but not in a first-person interactive sore of way - I was in line (just missed getting on). 1 1/2 rows of collateral damage. They closed the ride down while they hosed it out. I didn’t bother waiting to ride…

1 Like

Well, that’s true. Maybe mine just don’t fall off because they have always been snug enough that they don’t slip off my head and into someone’s surgical field. That would be worse than flying off on a rollercoaster, to say the least.

2 Likes

Part of it is head position and design of your glasses. If you keep your head down, then the wind as it wraps around your head will actually push the glasses onto your face. But if you happen to tilt your head back just a tad, that wind can catch under the bottom of the lenses and blow them off. Of course, as mentioned, speed of the coaster places a significant role. The coasters I’ve actually seen people lose their glasses on are ones that hit more than 60 MPH. Some hit more than 90 MPH. (Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka hit more than 120 MPH.)

But I still wear the straps as a precaution. One year, however, I used clip-on sunglasses. I was diligent about taking them off (my glasses were strapped on) each coaster. But, for some reason I forgot to take them off once. And, sure enough, the clip-ons blew right off my glasses, never to be seen again. :confused:

2 Likes