WDW to begin phasing out temperature screenings

Disney will be phasing out temperature checkpoints for Cast Members and guests at Disney World. This will begin with Cast Members on May 8th and then apply to guests shortly after on May 16th.

10 Likes

Good. It wasn’t doing much anyway.

9 Likes

Good news! I’m all for masks and social distancing but the temperature screening always seemed to be more about calming public concern rather than anything of actual value in preventing COVID exposure.

16 Likes

During the middle of the night following my first vaccine jab, I felt bloody awful and — out of interest — took my temperature. It was high enough to bar me from Disney World.

What kind of a lunatic would feel that bad but still try to sneak into WDW? Temperature screening always struck me as pointless theatre.

10 Likes
2 Likes

There’s a lot of health theater (or theatre for @sanstitre_has_left_the_building) that doesn’t do a bit of good, and I’m thrilled to see the temp screenings going away. I went to the dentist yesterday and was pleased that they’d stopped doing it too.

3 Likes

Come to think of it, I had to take DS to the orthotist today to get one of his leg braces fixed and they didn’t take our temp. I just realized it when @StephanieV mentioned it.

2 Likes

Yep. Our DDS has stopped the text questionnaires too.

1 Like

Thank goodness! I’ve been fretting about the temperature checks. I’d hate to be turned away if one of my kids was hot from the sun or something like that. I agree it’s mostly theater and there are probably more false positives than actual sick people caught by the screening.

3 Likes

The evening news reported that Universal will continue temp screenings but will reduce social distancing to 3 feet

3 Likes

I did get flagged on our March trip one day when we were returning to Epcot after a break. They let you sit for a while in a tent that’s cooled and give you icy water. There was zero pressure to retest in a certain time frame, but after 5 minutes, I was cleared.

6 Likes

I was always reading “cold” to their screen. The one time, the cast member had to keep scanning cause I was coming up in the high 80s.

“Am I dead?” was all I could think to ask to her very confused look.

9 Likes

That would explain your hollow stomach…

5 Likes

Were you on your way to the haunted mansion? :ghost:

5 Likes

Someone said this starts tomorrow at UO? I think I it might make me a little uneasy to find out the day before or during my vacation, or inside my cancellation window.

3 Likes

While I personally would not, lots of people who feel that they spent a lot of money on their vacation would drag themselves or their feverish kids to the parks anyway.

This may be an American thing, as most jobs don’t have sick leave here and so people frequently go to work while ill. I can’t tell you how many times pre-COVID that I got sick because a coworker came in while ill because they felt like they couldn’t miss work.

My brother is a school teacher (band director) and they do temperature checks before the students come into his classroom. He credits this process with keeping COVID rates low in his school as he has had multiple kids try to enter the classroom with a fever.

5 Likes

heeeeey

…n-no. I was uh… going to… Epcot. Yeah, that’s it. Epcot!

5 Likes