WDW looking to expand Virtual Queues to include Jungle Cruise and Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run

I agree. My two boys love Star Wars, and if we can’t ride RoTR next year they will be devastated. Any other ride I’m fine skipping. I hate that there isn’t even a chance of standing in line if it means that much to you, and instead is based on your wireless provider/luck/tech-saviness. Like even if you miss getting a fastpass on a ride you want to ride, you always have the option of standing in the line if it means that much to you.

3 Likes

I agree 100%.

1 Like

Standby lines are the great equalizer! The value of money depends very much on the net worth of the individual but time is relatively evenly distributed. That said, we all have our priorities so some people would be willing to wait 8 hours in line and others would pass if it’s just 20 minutes!

So I guess I agree the optimal solution is a standby line. They will have to cap it at about 8 hours though to guarantee everyone gets through that joins the line. I honestly believe RotR’s line would have gotten that long in the first few months of operation, but I don’t think it would get that long now. I’d bet it would top out at 3-4 hours.

2 Likes

The simple solution is to stop running it until it’s ready. However, Disney would rather take your money and give you the “opportunity” to maybe ride it to increase attendance / sales.

I know that’s not going to be a popular answer. I’d rather they just shut it down and get it working properly so they can get rid of BGs. If they could accommodate everyone willing to wait, BGs wouldn’t be needed in the first place.

People seem to have forgotten how bad Hagrid’s was running until they started opening it late / shutting it down early and taking whole days off to give the techs time to do corrective maintenance. It took Universal about a year to get it where it is rarely out of commission anymore.

1 Like

As I posted above, Disney should give resort guests priority but limit them to one boarding pass for the length of the stay.

2 Likes

Once we get to the point where they add DAH events back, RotR should be reliable enough by then to include in the event, and it could be limited to one ride on RotR per event via MB/ticket just like a regular day. Those that want more of a guarantee to ride, along with super short lines for the rest of the park, would pay a good premium for that.

3 Likes

Or possibly even give multiday tix priority, like 4 day tickets or more.

1 Like

This is what I love about DAH at AK. I don’t even go to Pandora until about 9:30pm - 10pm. After that you can walk-on FoP with no wait!

1 Like

This is my biggest problem with the current system. I wish there were an option for people who wanted to wait in line.

1 Like

Well, what I’m saying is let people stand in line for 4 hours, even the vloggers— I’m a fan. Makes it more fair then random boarding group assignment. Where if your phone is too slow you are out of luck. I think me that once in a lifetime family who takes a trip, let them decide to wait in line.

4 Likes

Just gotta say…debates and thoughts about how Disney should or shouldn’t handle RotR brings me back to the good old days. Like February.

6 Likes

I would agree honestly, they need to bring back more perks for onsite guests. Hard to justify the price tags at the moment.

1 Like

I also agree to this 100%. And my response did not take into consideration how much down time there is. But I wonder if people would be more understanding knowing that the pass does not guarantee the attraction will be up and running the entire duration. If I paid for the pass, yeah, I’d be upset if it were down for the day, but ease of access throughout the rest of the day would more than make up for it imo. At the end of the day it’s still about making memories for my family.

I would much rather they shut it down to work out the kinks as well. To me, that makes the most sense if I were completely honest.

1 Like

My quote usage wasn’t clear, and I apologize if it felt I was attacking. That wasn’t my intent. I was actually agreeing with you saying you would rather the option to stay in line, which I also want.

1 Like

:laughing::laughing:

I cannot agree more. The fact that I would agree to take 6 hours I could be riding other attractions, and instead using it to secure the one “Must Do” on the list…well that’s a decision that I want to be able to make for myself. Quite honestly, My kid could be doing other attraction, my husband off in the room taking a nap and I could just be that awkward lady by herself people watching and laughing at other people’s jokes in the lane around her.

2 Likes

I disagree for 2 reasons:

1. By being open the last year, even in “beta,” many, many people have been able to ride it who otherwise would have had to wait. That has relieved a big portion of the demand. I think most people who have successfully ridden it are glad they did, and I (who still haven’t had a chance!) am also glad they did so now there will be less demand whenever I go.

2. There’s no guarantee it will ever be running perfectly - many rides have just as bad operational issues (Test Track!) and have been in operation for a long time. But RotR has come a long way and is now down about 10-12% of the day, which isn’t unreasonable considering cleaning time. When it first opened it was down more like 30% of the day.

5 Likes

Did you describe in a previous post how you calculated that at max operational capacity it can accommodate everyone willing to wait? Seems dubious to assume that. Especially with pre-COVID capacities. Assume 1,800 riders/hour. 12 hours. 21,600 riders/day in a park that can hold 60,000? I dunno. Even if the park normally operates and 1/2 capacity you’re assuming 1/3 of park-goers are okay not riding. Given how the park is nearly full these days at 10 am, presumably trying to get a BG, I struggle to think the demand problem is solved operating better.

Plus what @Jeff_AZ just said.

2 Likes

If they don’t want a physical standby line, I wouldn’t think it would be that hard to reprogram their software to allocate the same number of BG’s at the 10am drop in a 2:1 or 3:1 (or whatever is deemed fair based on projected number of onsite guests with a HS park pass) ratio of onsite to offsite as determined by a linked reservation on MDE. And if you still don’t get one, 2pm can be a free-for-all for what’s left among all remaining HS guests like usual. Maybe get more complicated yet and throw offsite AP’s a bone with their own odds somewhere in the middle.

2 Likes

No I didn’t, just wanted to make sure I was clear with what I said.