WDW face mask policy change

This. How do I tell my 5 and 2 year olds they need to wear a mask but mommy and daddy don’t?! So even though I’ll be fully effective with my vaccine as of Monday (woot!), I’ll be wearing mine indoors until kids don’t have to wear them either.

6 Likes

No, as I mentioned,

Can mask wearers choose a mask that protects ones self without dependence on others’ choices? That’s the question I think Disney is basing their decision on. I don’t think Disney can base their decision only on the fear of one of those groups, particularly when there’s a solution for that fear. A person who feels unsafe around unmasked can wear a self-protecting mask. A person who feels unsafe in a mask has no recourse if they are wearing one.

2 Likes

That is a tricky one. Easier for an older kid. While on our trip last week, since I’m fully vaccinated, I had no issues going into the restroom without the mask…but we had already told our DS11 that he needed to wear the mask each and every time he is inside. He had no qualms and was totally on board because he understood why.

With a 5 and 2 year old, it has to be more like why it is mommy and daddy don’t have to sit in a car seat, or some similar analogy.

1 Like

Agree this is often the mentality but not always. My mom, for example, chose not to go on our trip this month because of mask mandates. She insists she feels suffocated in her mask. She wears it at home when required but only when required. And she avoids going out a lot because she’d have to mask for longer. For her, absolutely the choice would be wait until masks are no longer required. And I’d imagine for all the “I’m going to Disney once in my life” folks they’d prefer to go when it feels more vacation-y to them…no masks or health and safety announcements being broadcast every 20 minutes.

8 Likes

So the whole thing about N95 masks is that that they have to be fitted to ensure there is no gap and a good seal all the way around. The general public is not going to have access to being properly fit tested.

7 Likes

Agree. I have no problem wearing a mask here to go to the store, pick my kids up from school etc., but wearing one all day in 110 degree weather at WDW is not for us. Too hot. Also, knowing my luck I’d get a mask burn/tan line on my face that would last for years.

3 Likes

There’s an image :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

mask-tan

8 Likes

bwahahahahaha

I understood your point.

3 Likes

If there’s a good portion of society that would feel safer in a well-fitted mask, perhaps this needs to change. What would prevent this change from happening?

1 Like

Masks are most effective at protecting others from the wearer and not the other way around. As previously mentioned n-95 masks are not approved for children and not something the general public has access to wear correctly with proper fit for real protection. Children are not yet eligible to be vaccinated and the masks/distancing were the only thing providing them with protection which has all been removed.
I agree that adults have had a reasonable amount of time to be vaccinated if they wanted to. If they choose not to be vaccinated then it is your choice to either avoid the situation or accept the risk. Children haven’t even had that opportunity yet, my biggest frustration is that I would have thought disney, a place catered for children, would at least have that as a consideration.
We cancelled our trip, scheduled to arrive Sunday, a week ago when they lifted the previous mask mandate. If we were going and this happened the day before I can understand why others are also frustrated.

11 Likes

It’s kind of a big deal. It takes about 15-20 minutes per person and specialized equipment.

Not gonna happen for the general public.

Look it up. I don’t have time to explain it. It’s not a small undertaking. We had to have all of our staff done during the pandemic and the tester was here for several hours and didn’t manage to get our whole team done (we have about 30 people in our office)

5 Likes

I’m out.

These threads reach a certain point where it’s just a “yes it is no it isn’t” yelling match. You’re never going to reach some people. No matter how many facts you provide.

9 Likes

More than one valid opinion on this stuff. It’s not about “not being able to reach some people”. They just don’t agree with you, and that’s ok.

4 Likes

I think what adds insult to injury about this is them implementing the changes immediately so people have few options.

It’s too late for DH is reschedule his vacation at this point. It’s too late to plan a completely different vacation. We’re past the cancellation cutoff for the Wyndham points being used.

If we are one day into a 10 day ticket and they change then, we’d be stuck on that, too, I suppose.

I wish Disney would just announce something already. If they just stay silent, we can’t assume they’ll keep status quo through our trip.

7 Likes

100% agree. I was very surprised when they lifted the masks outdoors without much notice. Clearly they didn’t think/care about the people with trips coming up who may not be comfortable with such a sudden change. They better be refunding those people without penalty or that will be a PR nightmare.

3 Likes

I was so surprised when Disney didn’t give any notife (even to the CMs!) about the outdoor mask change. Even just a week would have been helpful.

5 Likes

I mean, it’s not like there can be that many people saying “They dropped the mask requirement?!? I’ll now go literally tomorrow!”

2 Likes

Love this comment. This issue has really made me realize that people can’t seem to debate or discuss topics without someone resorting to namecalling. When did that happen? Can’t we just respect that people are entitled to their own views.

3 Likes