WDW face mask policy change

No more masks outdoors at Disney World starting tomorrow, May 15.

2 Likes

From WDW website:

2 Likes

When they say required “upon entering and throughout all attractions” I am assuming that includes the line even if the line is outdoors - is that how I should be interpreting that?

2 Likes

I watched a YouTube, I’m sorry I can’t remember his screen name. Prince Dev or something. He was there in the park and asked a CM. They stated that the mask for rides begins at the official line start, meaning the gateway that posts the digital wait times for stand-by and FP+.
Lines outside, such as 7DMT that winds all the way around the mountain, no mask. Up at the fence/gate, mask on.
Does that make sense?

2 Likes

So if masks are off, it’s supposed to be 6’ distancing, correct? Has Disney said anything different on that anywhere?

Temporary adjustments are still in place to promote physical distancing. While we will reduce physical distancing measures for Guests across many areas with a gradual, phased approach, six-feet distancing measures will continue in all dining locations, merchandise stores and in areas where Guests can temporarily remove their masks.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/#drawer-card-physicalDistancing

I know people may not be respecting that, but helpful to know what the official stance is.

1 Like

Note: as opposed to UOR, which is reducing queues to 3’ but masks are supposed to be used in all queues.

2 Likes

The 6 foot line markers in the queues outside the official entrance are still there, but not many are really using them.

So when DD18 and I went to WDW in April, the rules changed from one day to the next on removing masks for photos. On this trip with DD21, the rules changed from one day to the next on wearing masks. I felt bad for people who were there and maybe didn’t feel comfortable with the change. I saw families with littles who were still all masked up. Did I see that you still are comfortable enough to go on your trip coming up?

4 Likes

We’re headed down Friday. I’m mostly excited for the changes. I empathize with people that were only comfortable with mask policy in place when they booked the trip because of the lack of notice.

I’m especially empathetic to those with kids who have not had the opportunity to be vaccinated. My trip is 4 adults, me and wife are vaccinated and I’m not sure about the other family in our party, but they are adults and if they are not, they’ve had the chance to be.

1 Like

I think so? I’m leaning towards yes, but I’m still trying to get a clearer picture of 1) Disney’s intentions with the new guidelines and 2) what’s actually happening in the parks.

I fully expect a certain amount of people to push whatever the boundaries are, but it’s hard to set expectations when those boundaries aren’t clear, let alone knowing how many people are ignoring them.

Disney finally sent me a reply yesterday to my email from last Thursday where I asked if they could please expedite announcing whatever changes they were making, The reply basically stated what was announced, and they included this:
“As a reminder, physical distancing requirements remain in place. We are gradually reducing physical distancing measures for Guests from six feet to three feet across remaining areas such as theaters, attractions and transportation. Six-feet distancing measures are still in place in all dining locations and merchandise stores.”

I replied and asked them if this info on the website is still true (including specifically asking if 6’ is required for unmasked areas in extended outside ride line queues and in outside QS dining areas and queues):

“While we will reduce physical distancing measures for Guests across many areas with a gradual, phased approach, six-feet distancing measures will continue in all dining locations, merchandise stores and in areas where Guests can temporarily remove their masks.”
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/#drawer-card-physicalDistancing

If so, I’m satisfied. I wouldn’t even be rigid about people complying with the full 6’ if I can at least reasonably and nicely ask them for some space if they’re unmasked and breathing directly on us.

We expect to have the 5 vaccinated people run some interference for the 2 unvaccinated kids, but if it turns into a constant anxiety-inducing battle in extended ride lines, we may have to pare down our activities. :confused:

3 Likes

We only had one park day after the change was announced, and it was Epcot so light on rides. But I did feel like mask compliance in the queue was really good. Distancing in the queue (where masks were required) not so much.

1 Like

Oh, and at some point, we’ll need to have a conversation about which situations our vaccinated party members will mask in, but we’re trying to understand the general atmosphere first.

Yeah, I think I can deal with having masks in lieu of space and vice versa, but neither (even if outside) is going to be concerning.

1 Like

Someone wrote that they had one person in their party face backwards in-line facing the ppl behind them and it seemed to work keeping ppl on the 6ft designated markers. The only problem they reported was their party forgetting to tell them to advance in line :crazy_face::rofl:

5 Likes

Your description makes sense yes - thanks. Not sure I get the logic of the rule - seems like it should be the same rule for the whole line - before or after the entrance markers (I would personally vote mask on since near the same people for extended period - but I know others would vote differently).

1 Like

I can see how that would work. :joy: As much as I don’t like masks, I love distancing. I admit my party of 5 sometimes stood halfway between 2 markers rather than stay on one, so that on either side the marker was too close for another group and we ended up with about 8 ft on each side. It’s not like it delays anyone getting on a ride, just pushes queue out a tiny bit further.

4 Likes

I guess I could see if they were keeping the 6’ in the extended queue with masks off, but then reducing the spacing to 3’ in the area with masks on. This would help get more people out of the sun. If you’re already outside the covered queue, no need to crowd in.

2 Likes

Using an extreme version of @Tall_Paul1’s method, your family could take up three markers and have your twins on the middle one, as if you were three parties. That would give them 12 feet distance in 6-ft marked lines, or at least 6 feet with 3-ft markers.

5 Likes

Yeah, we’ll probably do something along those lines if people are unmasked around us.

2 Likes

I’ve been considering this for our group of 6, we have DS12 and DD10.

2 Likes

There are some blogs saying that Universal is dropping their mask requirement this Saturday for indoors.

1 Like