Water park day with kids who can’t swim?

Good idea or bad idea? We have convention tix so no extra cost. I’m thinking of it like a substitute for a pool day. I’m not sold on the idea, but I literally do not know anything about the water parks. My oldest, 5, loves water rides and is major bummed that kali river rapids will be closed during our trip, so I thought there might be some rides at a water park that would satiate him.

1 Like

There’s children’s splash areas at both TL & BB. Put on your “floaties” and it’ll be fine. If you think that’s something YOU want to do as you’ll have to be a hyper vigilant lifeguard for a few hours!

I would recommend staying away from any of the “traditional” slides & activites until your son gets some swim lessons! Heck…this might motiviate him to learn so he can do them next time!!

1 Like

They do have free life jackets, just like at the pools so that is helpful. They definitely have the cutest play areas like a new Frozen area at Blizzard Beach. The only thing I would caveat is that the kids will need to go down the slides independently except for a couple tube rides. So think about if your kid would want to do that and if you would be comfortable going before/after them as you won’t be allowed to catch them or anything. So I think it would depend on if they could “swim” at the end of a slide with a life jacket.

2 Likes

How about a lazy river? Do either of them have a lazy river that we could float down as a family?

1 Like

Haha. I asked that lazy River question and then re-read your answer that there are a couple tube rides we could do :laughing: thank you!

3 Likes

My kids are not the best swimmers and they love the water parks. The splash pads, lazy rivers, and even some of the milder slides can be a lot of fun for kids.

2 Likes

Thank you! Any preference if you had to choose one for the littles?

1 Like

In general I’ve heard Typhoon Lagoon is better but you may not have a choice as recently they have only had one open at a time.

My favorite is Volcano Bay but that’s neither here nor there. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Both have lazy rivers that go right around the park. I’ve only done Typhoon Lagoon, several entry and exit points where you can pick up a tyre float, some for 2 or more people. You’d still need to watch them because it goes relatively fast in some places.
From personal experience be very careful in the wave pool at TL. I was sitting in the shallows and got knocked over and dragged along the rough bottom on my back - got some nasty scarring that took a few weeks to heal. I would have been better further in. Luckily my DS was standing and jumping the waves (he was around 9 but not a confident swimmer). We didn’t do any of the rides.

There is a height limit for the kiddie areas, if they’re taller than a certain height they will not be allowed in even if they are a non-swimmer. That was my gripe really. He would have loved it but was too tall.

4 Likes

Kali is usually down in the winter for refurb. Are you going in winter? If so, keep in mind the water parks may be closed if the temperature drops too low.

1 Like

I understand that about the water parks. It will be a high of 83 tomorrow so I’m definitely exploring the possibility.

1 Like

We have enjoyed the kids area at Typhoon Lagoon more than Blizzard Beach.
Plus the wave pool waves for a while and then rests for awhile. During resting the shallow entry area is fun with non-swimmers.

2 Likes

Plenty of kids areas. Beware if they are oral enough for water slides that you can’t stay in the water to help them. My son could swim but not well and I wanted to stay and they were very strict with me.

1 Like

The original post didn’t make clear you were there now.

1 Like

I’m not there now. I will be there end of February/early March. I guess my point was that I’m not assuming water parks will be closed just because it is winter. Did I misunderstood the point of your comment?

1 Like

When 55 deg F and below for a daily high, water parks will be closed.

Youngest grandson and youngest granddaughter were signed up for surfing lessons one December. Typhoon Lagoon had the lessons beginning at like 6 or 6:30 am. Also wet suits, and a heater running.
After the surfing was over, everyone left - park was closed for the day.

2 Likes