Walt Disney - the man behind the myth

Actually, this was a dinner a group of us won at an auction- 5 courses, but each one was paired with…beer. I liked the first three pairings, but the course with the fava beans would have been better with a Chianti! Didn’t like that beer as much, but the fava beans were good. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you are ever in San Francisco (30 min north of my home), visit The Walt Disney Family Museum at beautiful The Presidio park. It’s a great museum with 10 large colorful galleries that start with Walt’s Missouri childhood ending with a small scale replica of Disneyland to his Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. A must see for any Disney fan or anyone that admires personal determination to follow one’s dream.

3 Likes

Disney was guilty of being fiercely anti-union. Research Disney’s Animator’s Strike 1941.

2 Likes

Yes he was. The book I mentioned earlier goes into a lot of detail about why.

1 Like

Yes it was mentionned in the documentary and it looks really great !!!

I did visit SF some years ago but only had a few days and didn’t make it to the presidio at all, unfortunately. It was actually the only thing on my list that I wanted to see and didn’t have time for. Next time !!! :smiley:

1 Like

It’s the type of museum you can’t rush through either. We visited it not long after it opened, but after vacationing at WDW early this month, I got Disney Fever and want to experience the museum again. There are a lot of nice museums at The Presidio.

1 Like

I respect that The Walt Disney Family Museum doesn’t whitewash Disney’s anti-union beliefs and actions. They are detailed in the museum gallery on patriotic contributions.

3 Likes

DH and I flew to San Fran in Dec ‘17 and did this museum. We got to enjoy the Eyvind Earle exhibit and then the rest of the museum. DH could have spent all day and night there. I really liked how it was set up chronologically and how it didn’t skimp on his childhood/teenage years. We both want to go back again soon. I’d love to go through it with Michael Bowling from the Dis. He seems to go quite a bit.

2 Likes

Agree…we liked the earlier years exhibits…We spent so much time in them that we had to speed up our viewing of the last galleries…because our kids who were younger at the time were getting bored. Need to go back this summer…

This is not a myth - I have the evidence to prove it:

4 Likes