Villas at DL Hotel opens September 2023

Might this explain why the ROFR monster is in such a deep slumber??

2 Likes

I can make arguementa for why I think it could go either way.

To me it comes down to those Bungalows and whether they want to spread the points needed for those over more contracts. Which seems like a good idea.

But they will definitely need two different studio levels points wise. Based on recent, new, points charts, the need for new studios to cost appreciably ā€œlessā€ than the old Poly studios may not be very attractive. Plus there is the whole contract restrictions which they seem to want in place.

I am 66% new association, 33% old association in my thinking.

1 Like

This would be really smart of them

2 Likes

Points charts are out.

1 Like

Not actually all that insane, given comparable WDW-side resorts (like Poly, GF, Riv)

2 Likes

There is some analysis done in this article.

Key points:

There are 7 seasons at VDH and 4 at VGC
Only studios have standard view, larger villas only have preferred.
Some seasons &/or room types are cheaper at VDH, others at VGC.

2 Likes

Point sales begin 5/2 for existing members and opens to the public on 5/30

2 Likes
2 Likes

$230 per point.

https://twitter.com/ScottGustin/status/1648395002861461525?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1648395002861461525|twgr^|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=

2 Likes

So my big decision has come home to roost.

I could buy myself into membership for $230 x 150 points = $34,500

Or I could buy resale points at another resort for ~$125 x 150 = $18,750

I just canā€™t make this math work to make it worth it to save $400 per annual pass and have a handful of other perks I canā€™t normally use. Iā€™d have to buy like 39 annual passes to make it worth it. Iā€™d rather get more points instead.

(Oh and the key here is that I vastly prefer the location of GCV.)

And quite possibly never get a room at VDLH

I mean I am not going to be buying any VDLH points personally, but thatā€™s why one would.

Alternatively you could wait for them to hit the resale market, which would probably happen by end of year based on Riviera history. And then be locked in there annually.

2 Likes

The minimum buy-in for new members is now 100 points. It wonā€™t get you the blue card though.

Or as an existing member the minimum add-on will be 50 points. Thatā€™s a guess, but in line with other active selling resorts I think. You can buy as few as 25 if using cash at the older resorts.

1 Like

It isnā€™t really worth it for me to buy direct if I donā€™t get the blue card, so thatā€™s what Iā€™m weighing.

I added this bit after I posted:

I like the DLH just fine but itā€™s hard to justify staying at a DVC resort when there are cheaper resorts that are just as close on the other side of Harbor. And if I want the Disney experience, Iā€™m better off paying cash for GCH, renting, picking up a dedicated unit, etc.

2 Likes

I think that is what a lot of current owners will be considering. The point charts are actually more reasonable than I expected and 50 points would allow for a trip every couple of years. Although it is not for me, I think it is an entry that will work for many.

3 Likes

I am reading $9.06 a point in dues and $2.73 a point transient sales tax. Is that added annually to your dues?

1 Like

The transient tax will be added at the point of the stay, so payable by the guest. For VGC itā€™s included in the annual dues.

I think @OBNurseNH posted something about it.

The dues seem high. :flushed: But then I donā€™t know what VGC dues are right now.

1 Like

I thought so too, thanks for validating my thinking. I thought new resorts tended to be very low initially. But like you say, we may be blinded by FL taxes vs CA

Also I didnā€™t post about the transient tax thing - at least not on purpose LOL

Well it seems I was wrong about @OBNurseNH posting about the transient tax.

Hereā€™s the article about it.

1 Like

No idea why I thought you did. I realised that before you posted.

1 Like

Itā€™s okay. It sounds like a rather intellectual thing to post about so thank you for the compliment. But Iā€™m kind of dull about all financial things