Victoria & Albert questions

I completely understand that there are times when it is not necessary. What I don’t understand is that its use is a complete no-no in ANY situation (as taught in Australia).

When it comes to grammar rules, absolutes are ALWAYS questionable (he says ironically).

1 Like

In that example, yes. However, there are many examples where it does make a difference. The problem is that people often do not recognize when it is necessary, so the default solution of always using the Oxford comma eliminates this problem.

Now, if we could just eliminate the problems of your vs you’re, the world would be a much better place. And lose vs loose. And their, there, and they’re…

You keep you’re comma, I’ll keep mine.

Your welcome.

:grinning:

1 Like

No, you must loose the comma. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

My biggest on-going mistake is I constantly swap its for it’s. No matter what method I come up with in remembering which is which, I still end up forgetting. As we all know, apostrophe s indicates possession. It also indicates contraction. Ah! We have a paradox.

It’s unclear if it’s home is here or there.
Its unclear if its home is here or there.

:slight_smile:

But, see, here I go again discussing grammar when I said I wouldn’t. Victoria & Albert. That’s the topic. Stick to the topic. Stick to the topic. Stick to the…oh, look! A dangling participle…

I am big on trying to educate people as to the proper usage of the words me, I and myself. Or is it me, I, and myself.

Or how about less versus fewer and much versus many?

I believe it is Me, Myself, and Irene. Or so the IMDB says…

1 Like

All this talk of commas is putting me into a coma.

Anyone wish to comment on his comma coma? Come on!

comma coma comma coma comma chameleon…

4 Likes

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Now i’m going to sing this song the rest of the day.

Ugh, please!

And Pacifically! S P E people!

In my world, I also see disasters such as vey, va, fings, and fincs (they, the, things and thinks). Your children speaking like infants may sound adorable to you, but it definately has a negative impact on their spelling ability in the early years of schooling :persevere:

No. Just no.

That’s the stuff nightmares are made of!

In ‘it’s’ the apostrophe is a contraction.
It’s = it is.

Seeing as how you’re getting distracted…

This was the most entertaining thread to get to the answer of what to wear to V&A!

3 Likes