Vertigo and Disney Rides

I’ll ask about WDW. I’d imagine their setups are identical.

4 Likes

Late - but maybe still helpful?

I say I have vertigo because I have next to no depth perception. I think it’s because one eye sees up close and the other eye sees far away but maybe it’s just all in my head. How my brain perceives things.

Usually, I can’t tell where I am, how elevated in reference to the ground am I, in certain situations. When walking up stairs (with see thru risers) or climbing a ladder, at some point I’m unable to move my feet. I get rooted to the spot I’m at. I’m only able to go up 3 rungs of a ladder. Then it’s go down or stay stuck.

If I’m holding on to a railing I can look fairly normal, no arm pin wheeling as I struggle not to fall or stuck feet. The most difficult are rail road trestles. :rofl:

At WDW, the worst ride so far is Soarin. The first time I wasn’t wearing glasses full time yet and I spent the whole ride absolutely sure I was going to slide under the bar and out of the seat. I had difficulty getting one foot in front of the other as we headed to World Showcase. Disorientation.

I can do Mission Space orange no problem. I love RnRC. Tea Cups is awesome.

The rides with drops affect me differently - not urpy tummy, or disoriented head/body. I just don’t at all enjoy the sensation of going down. Once and done for Splash. I can tolerate Pirate’s drops because they’re short.

Drops going sideways or backward - EE - are tolerable. But then, as a teen, diving off the town pool’s high dive was fun. Jumping was horrible.

The other thing that’s disorienting are the moving walkways, like Haunted Mansion and Spaceship Earth. Having my cane helps keep me balanced/grounded while the rest of me figures out where we are. Last couple trips I’ve skipped all the moving walkway rides.

Since I was seated as they moved, I liked the buckets in MK. If I was trying to walk a narrow bridge of slats with spaces between, I might not be able to, or be really really slow about it.

I don’t know if any of this is relevant to your sister @dianelynn but I hope it’ll help figure things out more quickly.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing your story! It’s always helpful to have more knowledge of how things are for another person. Compassion and empathy meters expanded in everyone reading from the telling of your story. Has it always been like that for you, or was there a trigger event or something you grew into as you got older?

2 Likes

Thank you @dianelynn :heart:

At 10 yo I could and did walk along fallen logs with no problems. Especially fun were the ones that fell so that they were bridges.

At 11, not happening. I clearly recall the first time I experienced the sensation of not being where I thought I was.

It was sometime between 10 and 11 that eye doctors began prescribing glasses tho I rarely wore them. I could see up close and far away. Didn’t know until years later I was using different eyes. :blush:

4 Likes

This may make a drink that tastes like ginger ale, but as neither Coke nor Sprite actually have any ginger in them, it won’t have any “medicinal” effects. Now if you want to make “real” ginger ale at home…

4 Likes

I would never want to make or drink real ginger ale. Tastes like soap to me. I have an aversion to most things with ginger.

2 Likes

That’s interesting. When DS22 was younger, maybe 7 or so, and he got glasses, the Dr told us he was probably going to trip off the curb and on stairs because previously he had no depth perception.

1 Like

I think there’s a perception that clear carbonated beverages are interchangeable for stomach upsets. My parents used to push 7-Up and I never felt it did anything but make my nose fizz.
As an adult, ginger ale is my go to for all gastric disturbances. Generally, just tasting that ginger ale makes my self feel like help is on the way. :blush:

2 Likes

Homebrew Ginger Ale?
Sounds neat

But honestly nothing I ride at home gives me vertigo

3 Likes

You REALLY set this up for some kind of dirty joke.

3 Likes

I was going to say my phone bill might be an exception but…

2 Likes

You clearly do not have a swivel stool and a leaf blower. :blush:

3 Likes

Like… combined??

ETA: #HomeBrewTeaCups

4 Likes

Yup. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

See, you lie on the stool and hold the leaf blower sideways.

:blush:

eta: maybe not as comfy as the real Tea Cups.

:rofl:

3 Likes

Yes, especially if a person is very limited by vertigo symptoms I would highly recommend getting a diagnosis for what is causing it. There are treatments that can help PT (vestibular rehab), medications, learning canalith repositioning manuevers, etc.

You might benefit from seeing an ENT it sounds like you might have BPPV which can be managed with canalith repositioning manuevers.

2 Likes

My wife dealt with a bout of this that seemed to come out of nowhere and lasted several months. It was so bad at times she couldn’t walk without holding onto the wall or a piece of furniture. There was a set of head maneuvers (named after someone, but I don’t remember who) that involved lying down, rotating the head in very specific directions. and then siting back up. She also went to PT twice a week for about a month. That was several years ago, and it hasn’t come back (knock on wood).

7 Likes

Eppley Manoeuvre I believe

3 Likes

Yep - that’s the one. She had to do it 3 times a day.

4 Likes