Vero Beach recos?

I’m thinking about adding onto a WDW trip to go to Vero Beach. For those that have been there before, how was your experience? Did you rent points?

We’re DVC & used points for a 4 days during Spring Break 2018 after visiting Universal.
Rented a car and stopped at Kennedy Space Center on our way to Vero.
Resort is nice with family activities - pool, mini golf, beach rentals. Restaurant was good but typical Disney $
Not much to do near resort and Vero Beach town is a bit of a drive.
We ate at Waldos which is a beachside bar/outdoor restaurant at a quirky historic hotel. Then, we grabbed orange Soft serve ice cream at Countryside Citrus which was the closest we got to Dole Whip on this trip.
Another evening we went to Sebastian and ate at Squid Lips on the water.

We’re looking for a nice resort to just chill and lay on the beach. Would this be a good choice? Potentially after a visit to WDW.

How was Kennedy Space Center? Any top recommendations for a former astronaut wannabe but now a middle aged lady? I loved the NASA in my home state, Houston, and have been itching to visit KSC. Should I do one or two days on either end of the Vero Beach?

Ooooh, space lover here!

We usually do two days at KSC. The best tip I have is go to their website. They actually have a very good Touring Plans type feature where you can either put in a length of time and they’ll suggest an itinerary, or you do it the other way and select everything you want to do and they tell you how to.

Let’s stick with the basics just now.

Saturn V building - needs a bus to get there which leave regularly. You start with a reconstruction of a control room pre-take off, then you can walk underneath a Saturn V etc. Recommended but allow 3 hrs including bus.

Atlantis - a must do, an awesome i toro and reveal and then explore around the shuttle, with exhibits. A lovely touch is that any recent passing of an astronaut will be remembered with a tribute.

Space shuttle simulator - do it if you can, absolutely.

Then there’s the Heroes building, which combines the history of space flight with the old Astronaut Hall of Fame which was down the road. This is a must for anyone interested in the manned space programme.

Rocket garden - both genuine and replicas. Climb into a Gemini capsule, if you can (it’s tight), and an Apollo capsule too. Techie geeks will love it but it’s also a nice outdoor attraction.

Memorial to astronauts who have died on duty, from the early days, the Apollo1 crew, and the shuttles. Poignant and stunning, you’ll see it when you drive in and wonder what it is probably.

Various indoor exhibits, interactive stuff.

Dine with an astronaut - we got lucky and dined with Al Worden of Apollo15. You can also meet an astronaut too without the meal.

IMAX - popular and incredible. They have 2 or 3 different titles each day. Do it if you want to rest.

In a nutshell if you have one day I would do Atlantis, Heroes, simulator and a walk around the rocket garden and memorial. You could add in Saturn 5 - but that could be tight unless you do open to close. Do Atlantis first, don’t risk missing it!

Add a second day and be able to do the Saturn 5 W/o watching the clock and check out the other stuff. They do various special tours, out to the launch pads, sometimes inside the VAB, the launch control, and also the early Mercury mission control. They cost extra but so worth it for those interested.

Edit: link to site :woman_facepalming:t4:

4 Likes

Thank you so much! That is so informative. I seem to remember in an old copy of Beyond Disney there was a section on NASA with attraction bios and ratings. I’m leaning two days coming and going to Vero. It seems so vast.

1 Like

Oh that reminds me. Whenever we’ve gone we always found that if you buy a one day pass you can add on another day for like $20. I ‘m not sure if you even have to do that on the first day, You might be able to do it the second day if you keep your ticket. It’s good for something like 7 days.

If you decide to book a special tour or the lunch with an astronaut, book that ASAP. They do book out and also it means you can plan your day around the times.

1 Like