Vaccination Passports- travel now while you can?

If you get a big enough pool, you can cruise on your pool! :grin:

Um, if you chose Ohio, you’ve got a huge amusement park and beaches, in state.

3 Likes

I’m sorry.
It seems you just suggested Lake Erie to me.
Girl - I’m looking at Georgia and South Carolina. Give me Savannah and Hilton Head.

But yes. OH has better amusement parks. Not sure SC has anything. South of the Border still there? :thinking:

2 Likes

:pray:

1 Like

I’ve heard if you live just over the border in South Carolina from Georgia, there are much better home prices and Georgia is just a short distance away. But I’ve never investigated this for myself.

I couldn’t live that far south. I would melt. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m surprised my family is agreeable TBH.
I love the heat.

Im finding more existing houses in GA than SC. We have two sets of friends who have moved to SC and two more sets planning to this year. I’d slightly prefer north of Atlanta, but the pull to SC is strong.

1 Like

Several of my cousins visit friends in SC. Guess where they’re retiring eventually.

Get your house while you can!

2 Likes

Is this true for hurricanes as well :rofl:

1 Like

I think that the travel and tourism industry is going to explode once most people feel safe again. I think that’ll happen whether or not there is a vaccine passport required. It might take a little longer without such a passport, though.

In terms of the vaccine passport idea itself, meh, this is a non-issue to me and doesn’t seem like a big change.

There are already plenty of places that require certain health qualifications to be met before arrival. DH had to get a bunch of shots before going to Ghana.

And we’re not exactly talking about having to carry identity paperwork around 24/7 and show it on command. You already have to show identity paperwork at ports of entry to other countries. What’s one more passport?

(I do get that others feel differently. That’s just my POV.)

6 Likes

When we lived in New Mexico I had to show ID every time I passed through boarder patrol (on the drive back from Las Cruses, NM to Holloman AFB) that stop was 45 miles inside the USA. Once in the White Sands National Monument gift shop a Brit vented how appalling it was that HE had to show his passport. He was so offended b/c he spoke English and England was an American ally :rofl::rofl::rofl: All I could think of was my teenagers in the car threatening to shout to the boarder patrol agents: “no hablo ingles” Cuz that wouldn’t end well :rofl::rofl::rofl:

BTW: I now wonder if that Brit was @sanstitre_has_left_the_building?

3 Likes

I’m curious why you’re not interested in the covid vaccine? If you are willing to get other vaccines why not this one?

1 Like

We had a finished basement when we lived just north of Atlanta (Roswell) :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I had covid and it was in line with a mild-to-moderate head cold. I’ve also had the flu and had H1N1 in 2009; both of those were much worse.
Meanwhile we have no data on long term effects of an mRNA vaccine.
I lean towards the risks of having covid again.

3 Likes

I’m not qwerty, but I’ll be waiting for the normal version of the vaccine, i.e. containing dead or attenuated versions of the actual disease. This mRNA thing … I’ll wait about 10 years to see what the results are.

Note, I’m not anti-vax. I love the flu vaccine. I’ve had more than most people since I’ve had the ones that are recommended when you go to a tropical 3rd world country. Never had to show proof though.

We’re also not in danger and fairly certain we had this before it became a worry. So, I put us at very very end of the vaccine line. My parents and aunt have had the vaccine. My MIL is doing chemo and secluding. Not because of health concerns but because she is vain.

1 Like

Ditto to @qwerty6. Well, we haven’t had Covid for sure but we are low risk and I’d rather take my chances with Covid than with a vaccine that’s never been done before. When the traditional vaccine comes out I will take it if necessary for travel but would rather not have it either. I am also not anti-vax (we have also had more than most people due to living overseas) but I am anti-vax for something that has no long-term studies and is 99.999999% survivable for my family.

2 Likes

Sounds like something I would do.

2 Likes

I’ve been very pro vaccine, knowing the country needs it to both beat the virus and to feel more comfortable about getting life back to normal. But I really haven’t thought about any long term effects, of either covid or its vaccine. I rarely think about long term effects of much of anything. I have awhile before I’ll be eligible for the vaccine, so I will have time to think about this and see what information is out there at that point. Getting covid again wouldn’t be the end of the world for me either. I’m more worried about the rest of society being vaccinated so life can operate normally again than me personally being vaccinated.

5 Likes

Yeah. We’d better all be praying it’s completely safe down the road or we are in for a world of hurt. :grimacing:

2 Likes

I’m actually more interested in the J&J vaccine for myself and my kids. The results were released on that today and it looks to be a solid vaccine. It is also the more traditional route.

We are almost positive we had Covid a year ago. My DH was exposed to a person at work who came back sick with a “virus” from Wuhan after caring for her sick mother. She came home at the beginning of January 2020. Once the whole Covid situation was exposed, she was immediately sent home from work and couldn’t come back until she was cleared by a doctor. There were no Covid tests. On MLK weekend, I had the worst virus I’ve had in a long time for 3 days followed by a dry cough for a week. I had my flu shot and have never gotten that sick from the flu when I get one. My one twin got the same thing as me about a day after I started. A few days later, the other twin looked run down and had a little bit of a headache, but was otherwise fine. My 8 year old never got a thing. My DH has no idea if he had any symptoms because he’s always tired from working third shift. My symptoms were the same ones that are being described by many people who tested positive for Covid. My DH has been exposed several times and has never gotten symptoms and I personally haven’t been sick since January 2020. My kids have not gotten any Covid symptoms since January 2020. Maybe it was something else, but the chances of it being Covid are pretty high.

2 Likes

This is true. We also don’t have data on the long term effects of Covid. Some viruses hide out in areas of the body and cause severe health issues years (sometimes decades later). Most notably the virus which causes Mono. Some experts have speculated that Covid can hide out in the brain after recovery and potentially increase a person risk of health issue down the road (I have read speculation on Parkinson’s, MS and other neurological issues).

4 Likes

Well. Since I’ve already had it I can’t go back and not have it. But all the more reason not to add a second question-mark-generating chemical to my body. :+1:

NVM … deleted a lot. Just something I read a while back stuck with me. And I’m not alone in my concern. My own primary doc won’t take this version and she’s absolutely a traditionalist - not at all a oils and herbs and organics and alternative type. And me passing on it leaves more for people who want them. And I don’t plan to try to skirt the system. And I almost don’t care about never traveling again. jennyturin asked why and I answered.

2 Likes