Using rider switch / rider swap for a heat intolerant adult?

Hi please help. Planning my 1st trip to WDW, July 30-August 4th. Short notice and only because we are in Orlando for a convention other wise I would never plan to be in Disney in July/August. Actually have a family trip planned for Nov this year!

Anyway, could we use rider switch at a ride like flight of passage, where my husband and daughter wait in standby and then I would be the returning rider?
I have a sensory processing disorder and can’t regulate my body temperature. This becomes and issue not only in the Sun and heat but also in large crowds and enclosed places. I am planning on inquiring about DAS but from what I have gathered as an adult I will probably be turned down. ( It is hard to explain the what and why of my issue to strangers.)
I was not able to get fast passes for any headliners because of the last minute of the trip so I thought maybe rider swap could work for me? Yes i understand it would basically be double the wait time for the rides.
Thoughts, Suggestions? Thanks for the help!

I don’t think rider switch would work in your situation because you’re not having to stay off the ride to stay with somebody who can’t go - there’s no actual swapping. I’d say your best bet is the DAS - would you be able to get a doctor’s note?

1 Like

rats. but good to know ahead of time.
I thought that CM couldn’t accept a dr note or anything like documentation? If they can then I will absolutely get one! Dr is not happy with the trip because I passed out in a gas station last week earning myself an ambulance ride, er visit and an over night stay in a hospital bed, fun times! (and I live in Pennsylvania!)
If it doesn’t work out at least my husband and daughter will get to enjoy the rides and have some special memories of a 1 kid only trip.

1 Like

check out same day fpp drops also.

2 Likes

definitely planning on having my app open and refreshing frequently!

1 Like

They are really good at accommodating for medical conditions. Call them and see what they can do.

1 Like

They can’t demand a Doctor’s note as proof of your disability/condition - they have to take your word for it. See the DAS Fact Sheet for detailed info:
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/disney-parks-disability-access-service-card-fact-sheet/

How about limiting your park touring to cooler times(before 11 am and after 5) for you. I am very heat intolerant(sunstroke as a child) you can go and enjoy the parks(and get a DAS) and then back to the resort, enjoy the pool(with a big hat), rest, enjoy a nice meal, spa, ride the monorail loop etc and then meet up with everyone again at dinner for a lovely evening. You will be well rested and not stressed from the heat and the DR might appreciate that you are going to push yourself too hard. Make your spa appointments now(mani/pedi, hair cut etc) because there might not be availability when you get there. Have a great time

2 Likes

DAS is for adults as well as children - anyone who has a health condition that prevents them from waiting in line. From what you have said, you would definitely qualify. You just need to tell them what effect waiting in line would have on you.

1 Like

Yes. You should be able to get DAS because it’s a medical condition. Rider switch doesn’t apply here because that’s only to “babysit” someone who can’t ride. You might be able to send in your husband to generate a rider switch for you while you “wait with your daughter,” then send her in to catch up with him in line 2 minutes later, but that’s pretty sketchy.

Also, people have been reporting very good results with the night before up to 6am, and the same day drops (11:01, 1:01, 3:01, 5:01).

1 Like

You will definitely be able to get DAS. If it makes you feel better/less concerned, go ahead and bring a note from your doctor, they might take it but it doesn’t matter because they aren’t legally allowed to require one.

And if you aren’t already planning on it, I would strongly STRONGLY suggest renting an ECV. It will really help you stay cooler.

2 Likes

Blockquote No that wasn’t on my radar at all. are they any faster then the ones in grocery stores? I can get to shade and ac faster then the ECVs avaliable at stores so didn’t even think it would e helpful. But I will look into one! Thank you for the suggestion.

With your trip being in July, I think you’ll find that reducing the amount of effort you’re putting into moving around will help keep you cooler overall and may prevent overheating, or at least delay it for a bit. I actually don’t know the speed of the WDW rental scooters, I needed one trip before last and rented it from an off site company that delivered it to our resort and picked it up at the end of our stay. That one was super speedy (my adult kids all had to take it for a spin when we were on the boardwalk lol). But when the crowds are heavy and slow, it may be faster to zip around people on foot to get to a cool spot. In which case, your DH or DD could drive it to you.

When I was feeling up to it, I’d just park it in a spot and walk around that area, but when I wasn’t feeling well at all, it was a lifesaver to have a place to sit even if I was moving slowly.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have an amazing trip with minimal health issues!!

5 Likes

Plus you can get a shade cover or umbrella so you have a shady seat wherever you are.

2 Likes

And even keep some frozen water bottles in a small lunch cooler slung across the seat (or in the basket if it has one) for a quick cool down!

1 Like