Use old phone onboard for DCL App

We are going to be cruising with our nephew who does not have a phone. Has anyone used an old phone that no longer has cell service for access to the DCL app onboard? If so, any advice or tips would be appreciated.

1 Like

I do not have specific DCL experience, but we do this specifically when we travel in Europe. We have two “old” phones that we can use for internet/maps/pictures while we are traveling and if they get lost or stolen then we don’t need to worry since they don’t have our social media or financial apps associated with them.

1 Like

We just did this with my daughter last month - it was super helpful for her to be able to have a phone with the app even just to look at dinner menus but mostly to look at the daily schedule herself to see what she wanted to do. My tip would be to download the DCL app on the phone at home on WiFi. You don’t need to login or anything because it changes once you’re on board, but just having it installed will have you ready once you get on.

1 Like

Oh and while there is on board messaging using the app it was kind of buggy sometimes for us - so if they are very young I probably wouldn’t solely rely on that if you need to communicate. It also does NOT work on Castaway Cay which we found out the hard way when our group got separated and were all trying to message where we were!

1 Like

Thanks!

Oh, I hadn’t thought of that. Great idea.

1 Like

Yeah, we found it buggy on our last cruise even with sons who had regular phones. Our next cruise won’t be to Castaway Cay unfortunately. :slightly_frowning_face:

I just got home from an 8 day Disney Cruise. My set up an old iphone 8 for my son. It worked great for the cruise app. He could even use imessaging when my husband and I got signed out of it.

1 Like

Last week my son was able to use the messaging app on Castaway Cay. He messaged a friend he met in Vibe and was able to message me too.

1 Like

That is great to know, maybe our day was just a blip!

1 Like