US Ending International Covid testing requirement

I think they will eventually. I have no reason not to be hopeful. I’ve watched so much else be walked back. And I am a glass half full person.
But that’s not all that has to go away for me to travel. I’d wait for no testing, no masking, no restrictions on excursions… I’m hopeful we see normal by 2024.

1 Like

Now I know this is good news logistically for you liners across the pond, and I’m not here to stir the pot, but to provide some perspective from recent travel. My partner just got back from working the softball World Series, the week before that was the PGA tournament. We have luckily avoided COVID during the duration of the pandemic thus far. He came home yesterday and broke that streak. We are both fully vaccinated for what its worth. It is all over the place here. Two cameramen left the set and had to drive home. My bf flew, thankfully masked, but he estimated about 10% of the flight were masked. So while I agree with all of your celebrating not having to take that extra logistical step to get into the US, I would implore you all to keep in mind that it is still very rampant here. It is in my opinion that its just as bad as a year ago, however vaccines have kept people out of the hospital and worse, which has caused people to return to normal. It sucks to be sick on vacation, at WDW none the less. Again, no offense meant to anyone, I know this is a sensitive subject for many reasons.

3 Likes

I think we are all well aware that it’s rampant there. But it’s rampant here too. So :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Understood, and I do agree that at some point we are going to have to get on with it. my household have been somewhat hermits during this, so I’ve been in a bit of a bubble and have been shocked at the amount of my friends in the last month or two who have tested positive. While this isn’t important and obviously anecdotal, I would still test at the risk of getting sick on vacation. That would be such a bummer. I do think they make it a PITA to do so to the “official” standards.

1 Like

I paid £135 :roll_eyes:
(For 4).
It’s non refundable.
I’m mostly OK with the loss of funds, but it does sting a bit. I could’ve had a few Back to The Future t-shirts for that :sob::rofl:

3 Likes

That’s a lot! Ours were £19.25 each.

1 Like

That’s a good bit of money. But not as much as I thought it was going to be. I thought the pound was worth about $2?

1 Like

This is such lovely news. The family is attending a conference which requires these same tests that have to be in-person or tele-health. Spent $100 on two. I thought that since flights didn’t require them anymore and the local gov. never required them, that the conference might change their policy. Nope. Now there is talk about setting up in-person testing at the hotel. Which seems like shutting the barn door after the horse has bolted.

3 Likes

It was in the 1970s. It’s currently $1.20. Five years ago, when I started visiting Orlando, it was about $1.40. You can thank Brexit for a large part of that drop.

2 Likes

Oh. I certainly wasn’t paying attention on the 1970’s. Was the Euro 2x the USD in more recent history?

The highest it’s been is like 1.6. But i’ts good to think of it as 2 so you don’t overspend!

I think it was $2 on my first trip and that’s how I still calculate my costs, this trip might bankrupt us :joy:

3 Likes

Yep, it’s not good to overshoot the exchange rate when you’re going the other way! :joy:

2 Likes

And to make the math(s) easier :rofl:

4 Likes

That thinking was responsible for a lot of the overspend in my early trips. I’d book a dessert party for $90 because I knew the cost in pounds was “way less” than that, so basically it was a bargain.

Now, when I’m looking at ADR pricing, I’ve realised the dollar amount is basically equal to the sterling amount since, once you add tax and a tip, they pretty much are the same thing.

2 Likes

At the same time, I still have difficulty taking dollar prices seriously. I’ve been looking at $50 steaks and thinking that they’re not particularly expensive. But if I think of it as a £50 steak I can’t believe I’m even contemplating it.

I just booked BOG and noticed the prix fixe price is $62. I actually thought, “wow — that’s not so bad”. But my frame of reference is the CG prix fixe price, which is $89. BOG is a third of the price: what a bargain!

2 Likes

Wow you guys pay a lot for a Covid test. I only had to pay £10.90 ($16.95 CDN) my last trip to the US. Thanks Costco.

The tests had to be proctored.

2 Likes

Same. That is cost at pharmacy. Unproctored we can get for free.

Really? I paid $68 CAD per test. And that is with 20% Air Canada discount code.