Urgent advice desperately needed!

Few things:

1. I’m so sorry that you’re having a rough time. This is the worst time of year for stuff like that and I feel for ya. By all means, please please please keep using the board as your sounding …uh…board. Obviously, the people here care and if help can be provided, even if it’s just an ear, please reach out. Not to me though…cause I’m an unfeeling monster. :crazy_face:

2. I know it’s been suggested before but instead of a trip all the way to Orlando…perhaps Paris? I know it wouldn’t be the same… but it could “take the edge off” at, what I would imagine, a much lower price point. And it would give you a great opportunity to compare and contrast the differences of the parks.

3. Have you looked into DVC at all? Forgive me if this has also been discussed. At this point, I think you can stop trying to convince yourself you “won’t be back for X years” (that you mention after every trip lol… )

But I get your dilemma of why deny yourself going and the answer is… you shouldn’t. Setting everything aside for a moment, the bottom line is no one ever went to their grave saying “phew! Glad I didn’t do something I knew I would enjoy.” Especially if there’s no danger to you or anyone else in the endeavor, there’s no reason not to. What’s the saying? “You can always make money, but you can never make more time.”

I’d say screw finances… get a second job if the hit will be too much, but go and enjoy yourself.

4 Likes

Ugh. I’m still up! It’s gone half past two!

A few points.

First, thank you to everyone for your advice and support. It is very much appreciated.

Second, having been raised in a “passively” Christian country I’ve become immensely fond of Christian things — cathedrals, hymns, etc. — so I’m not traumatised by Christmas per se. Besides, much of it is secular now: trees and snowmen and whatnot.

Third, once you go to WDW in Florida you just can’t go anywhere else! It’s just not the same. I wish it were! I hate the flight. Nowhere else has Epcot or AK or Pandora. And the castles at DL and DLP are just embarrassing!

The most favourable dates in terms of flight cost and hotel availability (I really want ASMo refurbished) are 18-24th. I worry a little that’s too soon to get favourable FPPs and ADRs, but it’s probably fine.

It all now turns on two things. First, I’m going to lose a week of work. Some of it I can probably reschedule. Second, just how much do I want this?

At least with these dates I arrive (somewhat weirdly) back home on Christmas Day — so Calvin and I will be together!

3 Likes

I think that’s the best of both worlds! Plus crowds will maybe be lighter leading up to Christmas since it falls on a Tuesday this year. I say do it! Go make those ADRs! And sweet dreams. You need some rest.

1 Like

I’ve been looking at what’s on offer during that week. The TP crowd predictions aren’t that bad and there are two MVMCP parties to choose from. It’s suddenly a lot more tempting.

That final party normally sells out in advance so I’d jump on it if you want it. I say get your work sorted and then happy planning.

This sounds like a great trip, as long as your boss is okay with it. In my opinion (but maybe not in your boss’s) is that this is kind of a medical leave. You need this.

Maybe don’t get caught up in the “must dos” You’ll be back in July. This is just a giant piece of fun. Do something different. Like an all day tour or just hang out at the pool. Even if you’re standing in lines, there’s that new game on the app that Disney’s set up that you can play while waiting in lines. Maybe look at it as “research” for your July trip?

3 Likes

His boss is kind of strict about these things :joy:

2 Likes

I don’t have any advice that hasn’t already been shared. Just a note to say, I’m glad you can use this board to get things off your chest.
I’m trying to think what I would do if I could afford it? and I’m not sure…but just something to note. I wonder if you have something similar to me. I recently discovered in counseling that there is actually a 3rd response in the fight or flight pathways-freeze. I’m pretty much stuck there. It’s really hard for me to make decisions. I had to face some literally life-threatening decisions and since then even small choices have been difficult. That’s part of what has been helpful with this group-I can ask advice and get you guys to make choices for me!
Anyway, knowing a little about your depression, I wonder if you are having a bit of that freeze response right now too.
I hope you get the advice you’re looking for and I hope the choices you make help you power through this season.

6 Likes

I’ve booked it: 18th-24th, ASMo (Preferred).

I’ve also booked MVMCP for the 20th (the 21st is the last one).

Slightly frustrating wait for Disney to load my reservation into its system so I can book FPPs.

11 Likes

Congrats! Can’t wait to follow along!

1 Like

Congratulations on the trip!! The holidays are amazing at Disney. Take the time to see the decorations at the parks and the resorts. See shows that are specific to this time of the year. Enjoy!!

Managing depression can be challenging so if a week at Disney diminishes those feelings even temporarily, I think that is invaluable.

I’ve already screwed up!

I booked MVMCP for the 20th. This is the only date I can get tickets to then JBJB dessert party :disappointed_relieved:

Maybe it’s just as well. Apparently the viewing area isn’t that great.

But I’m also blocked out of doing EMM at TSL. The only free spot is on the morning of the 21st — which will be way too early if I’m staying up doing MVMCP on the 20th.

Congratulations on your decision! I definitely think you made a wise choice with MVMCP vs. JBJB dessert party. As for EMM at TSL, I definitely don’t think that is a must do. You will probably find lower crowds in TSL in the evenings so just plan your schedule accordingly.

One thing to consider, since you are going in December and again in July, are you able to purchase an annual pass? I don’t know the rules for folks outside of the US, but depending on the length of your trips it might save you money.

2 Likes

It’s half past eight in the morning. I literally have not been to sleep all night.

I told you I was crazy.

But I’ve been productive. Details to follow …

4 Likes

Paris probably wouldn’t be much lower in cost, it’s really expensive!

Happy planning and safe travels!

Hope you have a great trip and it helps you’re well-being.

Just wanted to echo this. If posting on here helps, then keep doing it,

And congratulations on booking. Can’t wait to hear more about your plans.

I suggest taking some time to see some of the decorations at the resorts, especially Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, Beach & Yacht Club, Boardwalk and AKL.

1 Like

I tip my hat to you!!! This is one of the most creative ways to deal with the jerk that is depression I have ever heard!!! You will be fine planning the rest of it because you know all the tricks to make it a much more enjoyable time!!! I must echo the person who said do the resort decorations tour maybe add dessert, wine, an appetizer, hidden mickeys…a little challenge to make it more complicated for your mind. Try to think of things you might not want to do in the heat of the summer! Take care of yourself there are a bunch of us cheering for you from afar! Can,t wait tips read your trip report!

3 Likes

Currently on hold to Disney. Trying to get my reservation loaded on the system so I can book FPPs.

Tried to book a sneaky AK VIP group tour. But the Gods don’t want me to overspend: booked up every day of my trip.

As are quite a lot of things!