Unofficial Guide for Washington DC

Something I don’t commonly see recommended: the Marine Corps Sunset Parade that they do during the summer. Typically they do it at the Iwo Jima monument, though we saw it in front of the Lincoln Memorial. It was one of our favorites on our whole trip.

2 Likes

Its like a little secret! But really great.

I heard they are opening the Capitol back up for tours sometime soon. So depending on whe you come tou can sign up for one on the web page.

1 Like

White House and all the Smithsonian museums except for Air and Space were closed. I don’t know how crowded Air and Space usually is, but it was Hogsmeade-middle-of-the-day-at-USF-on-a-crowded-day level of crowded. Probably because it was the only Smithsonian open.

1 Like

That is very strange. Although government offices are closed Memorial Day, officially the museums only close on Christmas Day (except for pandemics!)

1 Like

It might have been that this was awhile back. I remember being peeved that the Air and Space did NOT have an audio tour. It made the crowds unbearable because I had no clue what most of the stuff was until I waited to get close enough to read the teeny-tiny postcard sized label. I had just recently been to Paris and Versailles had audio tours in English. The French, who hate both us (Americans) and the English had audio tours in English. But one of the top museums in the world located in the capitol of the US didn’t. (grumble, grumble) Shortly after they got audio tours.

1 Like

Just an FYI to any DC visitors: Air and Space will be closing for remodeling in a few days. The branch near Dulles Airport will be open but I think the Air and Space on the Mall will be closed for quite a while.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting me know. This would have been one of the things we’d want to see…

1 Like

Oh, thanks for this! I only want to go to DC once so that’s something I definitely want to visit. Will need to hold off for now then.

Looks like it’s scheduled to be closed for about 6 months.

@len
Any update on when the next DC Guide will be published?
We are going next summer, so could wait. But, I’m planning now.

Oh, let me ask. I think 2019 was the last one.

The National Museum of American History is doing a thing next summer on Disney parks. You should definitely stop by to see it.