Universal Orlando to re-open to public June 5

Man, I am just trying to envision how few people are going to be able to fit in Diagon Alley with six foot spacing like that.

4 Likes

She’s got video walking around Diagon Alley and in various queues - like MIB. (@megadis13)

It’s pretty interesting! I actually believe USF/IOA is going to really lock down capacity in the parks as a whole to make this happen. My question is are they going to need a reservation system too?

Once they decide how to limit entry the rest should be easy. Park hopping isn’t crazy like at WDW. Logistically, it would appear be so much easier to control access and capacity due to how you enter the parks and go through the security at the parking garage.

3 Likes

I was reading the FAQ for Universal. It sounds like resort guests will be accounted for, so if you are staying on site you don’t have to worry about not getting in. But everyone else? First come first served.

4 Likes

Works for me!

2 Likes

@megadis13 is back in the parks this morning for more TM previews. Today they are testing Virtual Queues! Look like Hagrid’s will be hosting one! Also, TMs are being allowed to ride Pteranodon Flyers without a small child. (A dream!!)

2 Likes

Ooo, what does the 5 min wait OR virtual queue mean? Is the 5 min wait for Express Pass guests maybe?

Since it’s only a TM preview day, and they just opened, that’s the standby wait in the queue.

1 Like

Ohhh, gotcha! I got a little too excited there :wink:

1 Like

I also found a TM couple on YouTube that went to the preview yesterday and put up a 30 minute video. It really shows how things are spread out, how food ordering works and more. (They say they are going back today to film more - so maybe another video tomorrow too!)

2 Likes

For anyone interested… according to TMs at the preview today, the USF Virtual Line Pass seems to be operating like MaxPass at DLR.

You can have up to 2 rides “saved” in your queue. However, unlike MaxPass, USF/IOA has no standby queues in the park - only Virtual Lines. Once you use a VLP you can reserve another. You can not reserve the same ride back-to-back.

IMHO - Ever since USF started doing this with Jimmy Fallon I knew it was only a matter of time before a VLP system was widely available at Universal. I bet Universal will monetize this along with the UXP system once standby is back in place. You’ll see a price offering for UXP and a lower price for VLP

WDW has been trying to put a paid FPP system in place for a decade. Removing FPP now, under the guise of social distancing, will allow them to bring in paid MaxPass and a “club tier” that can pay for the old FPP system.

3 Likes

Cool! Thanks.

I have questions about this, but I do like the idea of having TWO booked, rather than just one…makes sense from a flow perspective to know what ride you’re going to next…and while you wait book the ride after that, etc.

On the website, it mentions that you can book your Virtual queue once you’re in the park, OR from your Universal hotel. So, this makes me think we can actually book our first two rides before we even leave the hotel. Maybe. Or, does that only apply if it is after the park opens?

Anxious to see how it works exactly. Our first day at Universal we plan to do “Harry Potter Day”…arrive at Universal for early access, and then head straight to the train station. Once IOA opens, take the train over and do Hagrids first. But if the Virtual queue can allow booking two rides, we MIGHT be able to book Gringott’s first, and then Hagrid’s over at IOA? Or do they have to be in the same park?

So many questions! :slight_smile:

According to the TM - @ryanthemepark on Twitter (coincidence?)

"It’s based on location. The app checks to see if your phone is within a Geofence.

If you have an Android phone or jailbroken iPhone you can easily get around that and reserve anywhere."

Interesting. I figured it was more simple than that…that is, it knows if you’ve entered the park or not…and for resort guests, it would simply be a matter of being connected to the hotel wifi, OR simply knowing you are checked into the hotel.

Of course, I haven’t figure out how that all works for multiple people in the same party. Do I book the virtual line for all 7 people in our party? Do I have to put our tickets into the phone app?

I asked the same question!

It seems like a very basic system - You are in the park, you can make a reservation. If that will extend out to the resorts …idk???

I will bet that you could use it while on the HE to make a Hagrid’s VLP right at opening

Does this mean a party of 5, who each have phones, can hold10 reservations for the entire group? Each phone can make 2 reservations for the entire party?

I’m only going off the bits I have from TMs at the previews - which are all subject to change once USF sees how the logistics worked after this test and opening week.

It seems like if you are in the park you can make your own reservations. You don’t have to have a Universal “account” (like MDE) or even link it to a theme park ticket.

How can USF keep it from being abused? I still don’t know… can I make a reservation for myself at Forbidden Journey at 1pm and have my wife make a reservation for me at 1pm at Hagrid’s? There’s got to be some way to prevent it. I’m asking TMs, but haven’t gotten an answer yet. (they’re too busy having FUN!) :sunglasses:

2 Likes

And of course, if the “answer” is that you can only book for yourself…how does one coordinate a larger group? I might be able to book something for Hagrid’s…but then maybe after 3 others in our party are “in” the timeslot is filled, and the next 3 are left without a timeslot that works. Not to mention cases where you have a party where not everyone has a phone.

Don’t they know there’s WORK to be done? (That is to say…how can I get any work done if I’m left wondering these things?)

1 Like

This is my biggest question right now. For families with kids (or anyone without a smartphone or who doesn’t want to carry their smartphone in the park)…how does this work?

To clarify…I don’t know how USF will prevent double bookings on VLP. However, if you are in the park a reservation can be made without a phone. They are putting VLP reservation stations - just like at Jimmy Fallon - around the park with TMs to assist. (They may be using iPads or something)

So… if you don’t have a phone you can make a VLP through one of their stations. Also, you can make reservations for other people. I could make the reservations for everyone in my party for all the rides throughout the day. Or I can make my own reservations and they can make theirs. (Again… still trying to find out how this all works to avoid being exploited.)