Universal Mask News

Just saw this

4 Likes

Well… we’ve seen how far encouragement gets us…

5 Likes

I wonder if this is a result of the prevailing views of the clientele … maybe UOR believes their customers won’t accept the mandate, whereas Disney thinks theirs will? My impression is that they are right.

This could be interesting to see people self sort into either a Disney or UOR vacation based on their mask preferences.

5 Likes

Didn’t we see some of that already? UOR over WDW due to no park ressies, still selling APs, better deals and rates on resorts…

5 Likes

Yeah, but this will be the first time the difference is due to something this controversial. Will people who go to UOR be more or less likely to have Covid, for example?

2 Likes

have or get covid?

2 Likes

I meant “have.” As in, if guests’ desire to not wear a mask would correlate with ignoring their symptoms if they have Covid and still going to UOR anyway.

1 Like

You’re right. UOR had basically no capacity restrictions early on when WDW was very strict with that. Even when masks were required, the TM’s were not as strict with enforcement. Visitors now expect that continued light policy.

I feel bad for all the Disney CM’s who now have to enforce this again. That job is going to be harder than ever. :confused:

3 Likes

That wasn’t our experience. UOR TMs were much more in your face about it than Disney when we were at both in August. We thought UOR was doing a better job then.

I am surprised UOR isn’t requiring masks like Disney now, since they were requiring masks when we were there in May.

5 Likes

I am surprised too. I suspect the consequence of this will be that more vaccinated people will be wearing masks at Universal than non vacinated.

I will wear a mask. I can’t help but feel that Universal is trying to take a route that they think will be easier. I can respect decisions I don’t agree with. This trying to avoid a real decision disappoints me.

6 Likes

In March, there wasn’t much enforcement when drinking/snacking while walking.

1 Like

I was at UOR on reopening day, have been back 3x since, and have been to WDW 3x since COVID reopening (after being there the day they closed for COVID). UOR definitely had capacity restrictions, and TMs were constantly reminding guests to put on masks. From my experience, many guests at both parks ignored social distancing guidelines and wore chinstraps (rather than masks!). I think both CMs and TMs were equally strict and did their best to persuade guests to follow guidelines.

5 Likes

PLEASE Call and complain. I just registered a complaint. I told them that our family is going next week, 5 of us are vaccinated, but my 10 year old is too young. I told them that I am furious that Universal is putting my youngest at risk and that they are ignoring that Florida has the worst numbers in the COUNTRY. They should be reducing the number of people at the parks and requiring masks of everyone! The woman happily took my complaint and said that if enough people called that they would bring it to the parks. PLEASE CALL if you are also concerned about the risk this brings to those who are unable to be vaccinated. 1-407-224-4233

1 Like

At the end of the day it’s still your choice to attend. Universal isn’t putting your child at risk anymore than you are for going.

8 Likes

Exactly this. Vacation is a totally optional thing and it’s up to you to decide which risks you are willing to take and which you are not.

3 Likes

Yep. TRAVELING is the risk, more than the lack of safety procedures. (Which may not be that effective against delta.)

3 Likes

And that’s the other thing. Personally, I think it’s time to start accepting that this thing is here to stay in some form or another and we need to figure out what we need to do to keep ourselves safe and healthy and not rely on everyone else to do it for us. But that appears to be a fairly radical thought.

6 Likes

Ya I doubt she said if enough people call they’ll change. It’s not something they could or would say, you just want people to call so there is/was a chance they would shift policy to reflect your own adversity to risk. You can chose to go and accept the risk or stay at home… the trip to and from USF is far more dangerous than the risk of catching Covid or having it cause harm. This virus isn’t going anywhere so it’s best we just learn to live with it like every other danger in society.

2 Likes