Universal Hotels - closures

Universal Orlando has confirmed that they will temporarily suspend operations of both Sapphire Falls Resort and Aventura Hotel beginning Monday, August 21.

Here is Universal’s official statement:

We continue to evaluate our offerings and have decided to consolidate our hotel operations as we manage through current conditions. We will be operating the Hard Rock Hotel, Loews Royal Pacific Resort, Cabana Bay Beach Resort and Universal’s Endless Summer Resort – Surfside Inn and Suites and temporarily suspending operations at Loews Sapphire Falls Resort and Universal’s Aventura Hotel as of August 21. Guests with reservations at Sapphire Falls or Aventura will be accommodated at our other hotels.

5 Likes

This does not surprise me. Universal needs more guests! Endless Summer seemed practically empty while we’re there. I can see their need to reduce number of rooms available overall so they can fill the hotels better (optimizing staff).

3 Likes

I wonder if WDW will close more too? We went to GF for dinner one night and there was NO one about the lobby, the shops, the grounds. It was odd.

2 Likes

That is due to it being used for the NBA, I think. Only people associated with the NBA are staying there and they’re supposed to stay away from resort guests, I think.

4 Likes

oh, I had no idea. It was eerily quiet there. Shop clerks were SO happy to have someone to chat with :wink:

3 Likes

Update - Along with the previous closures the following will be closed for the rest of 2020 as well:

Portofino Bay Hotel and Endless Summer Resort - Dockside

This leaves open:

Endless Summer Resort - Surfside
Cabana Bay Beach Resort
Loews Royal Pacific Resort
Hard Rock Hotel

2 Likes

Is this actually an update? Seems to be exactly what was reported a week ago.

It’s an update to this thread - :upside_down_face:

Okay. But I mean…it matches what you posted in this thread a week ago, so I thought something must have changed.

Portofino / Dockside weren’t part of that OG post.

Oh. I see. It is a clarification. Portofino nor Dockside were never meant to be open, and so they didn’t list them as closing. But when you looked at the list of resorts that are to be open, that hasn’t changed, since neither of those were ever included.

1 Like

Yeah… that’s a better clarification. It’s now confirmed they aren’t opening for 2020 by Orlando Informer

Portofino never reopened and Dockside never even opened.

1 Like

I assume this means Bice Restaurant in Portofino won’t be open as well? We have a Christmas 2020 trip planned (we are staying at the Hard Rock), but I wanted to try Bice for dinner as it received good reviews.