Unexpected trip to Orlando

I recently found out that my office will be sending me to Orlando from June 1-3 and that I will be staying at the Wyndham Grand at Bonnet Creek. I’ve never stayed there so I’m interested in hearing peoples thoughts on the property. On a side note, I am currently engrossed in planning my family’s vacation for September at WDW that you fellow liners have helped me so much with! However, because the June trip is so short, I will be flying solo on this quick trip. It’s been years since I went to Disney solo and under normal conditions I would be looking forward to spending a couple days in the parks. The reality of the situation is that I am only going to really have free time in the late afternoons and evenings. At least initially, it seems like any Disney time I get on this trip will be experienced at Disney Springs. I’m wondering does anyone have any other suggestions for what I should try and fit in? Alternatively, if 3 days in Orlando in June with no real WDW time to speak off sounds awful, I can attempt to lobby my boss’s to send me to training elsewhere. The beauty of government work is that there is always training somewhere :smile:

I would do disney springs or dinner/wander at some of the resorts on the monorail or the boardwalk. I’ve also heard that you can sometimes get conference tickets to WDW (Corporate Events, Meeting Space & Conventions | Disney Meetings). you don’t have to be staying at a disney resort - as long as the convention your attending is listed (I think you’d just need to call) and you can get afternoon/evening only discounted tickets. Might be an option if you wanted to do some evening solo time in the parks.

1 Like

I was in the same situation as you in December; 10 min from WDW, but not enough time to “get my money’s worth” out of park tickets. On one evening I toured the mono resorts and WL (first time seeing the Christmas decorations and going to Trader Sam’s). On the second evening I went to DS to check out all of the new stuff and have dinner at Morimoto’s (excellent), have a drink at the Hanger Bar (great theming), and stopping in at RR (one of my all-time WDW favorites). I also did a bit of Christmas shopping. It would have been “nice” to be able to go into the parks, but I still had a lot of fun and got to experience some “Disney magic” while I was there.

2 Likes

Depending on the length of your September trip you might want to look into getting an AP. That way you might be able to just go in the evenings and still get your “money’s worth” plus then you would get an AP discounts on your September trip

2 Likes

I actually really like that game plan. Just enough Disney to make me feel like I’m not in Orlando for nothing. What was your strategy with reservations at the restaurants you ate at?

On my resort night I ate at Territories Lounge (the bar) at WL which is walk up and at Trader Sams which is also a walk up. I also lucked out with a 5 min wait to sit at the sushi bar at Morimoto’s - but it looked like there were numerous tables available up until about 7:00; there was a line as I was leaving.

1 Like

I appreciate all the feedback. @bswan26, you made the choice easy for me and I’m looking forward to enjoying some food at the monorail resorts and Disney Springs.

1 Like