UG flashback found from 1993

I’m visiting my parents, who keep everything. My kids were going though the drawers in my old room and came across this. I bought the UG to prepare for our honeymoon on 1993! Funny stuff.

9 Likes

1993? Wasn’t that just last year? Time flies. Probably a really cool flash back!

3 Likes

Likely the book we used for our first family visit in 1994.

2 Likes

On a similar note, we were just wondering the other day how many trips others had done before getting the UG and lines? DW and I have done several trips together from 2001 until 2012 before buying the UG and then getting on lines.

We now realize that on most of those trips we had no idea what we were doing, but yet we loved going just the same. From staying up late wasting time at pleasure island and rolling into the parks around 10 to aimlessly wondering around wondering what line to go into next.

1 Like

my first visit was 2002 with a birnbaums guide, I bought my first UG in 2003.

My first copy was the 2011 edition. As I have been going since 1975, I never really thought I “needed” a guidebook, but bought it more as a reference than a real “planning tool”. By now, I have consumed so many gallons of UG Kool-Aide, I can no longer identify what “I knew before” and what I know now… Halfway through the 2015 edition.

1 Like

Lame book doesn’t have info for AK :wink:

:wink:

3 Likes

My parents still have the UG from our first trip in 1992, Mickey signed the inside cover for us - it’s still the only autograph we have!

2 Likes

I loved Pleasure Island and to this day we talk about the Adventurer’s Club and how much fun we had just roaming around with a drink in our hands all night.

Ok, I’m doing it again, dredging up old conversations. This one caught my eye and made me chuckle. It also gave me a great idea.

My wife throws away nothing that has any sentimental value. I’m hoping she saved our first UG from 2003, my now DS12’s first visit (he was 15 months old at the time). If she still has it, I’m going to take it and have it autographed during our trip.

2 Likes

Wow, that was my first UG. And it was also in preparation for our honeymoon.
We didn’t wait on lines even then.
It was nice being to make ADRs (then called “priority seating”) from the hotel room each day for the next day. (ADRs have become a scourge.)

Anyway, I wish I still had that book.
I remember Splash Mt was then what 7DMT is now, the “new kid” on the block.
There was an actual RD at the hub, with a mad dash to the mountains.
UG told us about the short cut through the bathrooms between Adventureland & Frontierland.
No AK, HS was called MGM.

1 Like