Twilight Safari

We want to do Kilimanjaro Safari our first evening in the world. I’ve read that right before twilight is a neat experience. Has anyone done this? We will be there in July, so what time should we book our FastPass? I was thinking 8?

I did it maybe 30-45 minutes before sunset and also mid morning and I liked the early evening slot better.

I’ve done it at twilight and it is lovely. Very different from morning, so consider trying to do both. I’d check what sundown time will be on the day and try for a FPP window that starts no more than an hour before, if possible. You’d need to check what time the park closing is to be certain it meshes with the plan given that sundown times in July are likely to be 9pm-ish

1 Like

We will be doing an 8am WAT on a different morning, so when we do the regular safari we wanted something different. It looks like sunset is at 8:26 that day. Should we do before sunset or just at sunset or right after sunset?

Following

It’s overrated IMO. Stick with traditional hours.

1 Like

I also think it’s overated. Not worth it IMO.

1 Like

Well, especially since you are doing WAT – where you will see everything you would on a regular KS and more, then it seems like a great idea to me. I did it twice just at/after sundown – going before would defeat the purpose, I think.

How overrated do you think it is?? We will have CL fast passes, so I’m not really missing out on anything else by doing it. Is it not worth doing at all??

You now have advice on both sides so you can go with your instincts :slight_smile:

Is CL worth it? I’ve never tried to get a CL room with my DVC points but I’m now thinking of doing the Princess Half February 2020 and if I plan ahead I might be able to when my 11 month window opens.

We have never stayed club level before. This will be our first time. I gave my family the option of club level with extra FastPasses each day or a VIP tour one day. They chose CL. I’m hoping we made the right decision!

2 Likes

We did both this past trip. I had a morning FP for the Safari and then booked one for around 8pm. We did enjoy the evening one. It was the first time we saw the lions being active (maybe too active :flushed::wink:)

1 Like

What time was ROL/ did the park close when you did the evening one? Not sure what time we’d need to book an evening safari FPP to ensure we could get to ROL… One of my sons is animal obsessed and while we’re hoping to get a FPP for a morning safari earlier in our stay I’m sure he’d love to do it again!

ROL was going on while we were on Safari. Park close was 9. We did stand by for FoP right after Safari.

1 Like

This is the exact question you should be asking! RoL usually starts just after sundown so a sundown safari will force you to choose. I’d go for KS!

2 Likes

I love doing the safari in the evening around sunset. I do not like doing the safari once it is dark so the timing is very important.

2 Likes

We went an hour before sunset and I enjoyed it. I was worried that it would be too dark. I don’t think that sounds enjoyable at all.

1 Like

We did it twice in one day on our trip two years ago. I had two almost 5 year olds at the time. We rope dropped it on an EMH day (before Pandora was open) and then had a Fastpass for about 45 min before sunset. I loved both times! We saw different animals each time - and the lions were very active at the twilight one. I thought it was just glorious.

2 Likes

Thanks all! So 7pm for a 7.52pm sunset in April should be good? :crossed_fingers: for a FPP at the right time!

We just did both last week and saw a lot more animals in the evening. Especially the cats who were very active. The driver said that is really the only time to catch them up and around.

2 Likes