TV in Disney Resorts

OK guess it would be too much to expect that Disney+ on the in room TVs in WDW?

1 Like

Evidently yes.

Theory is that they want you out spending money, not sitting in your room watching Encanto

3 Likes

A little off-topic, but I don’t have cable anymore - just streaming. I really took advantage of the hotel TV / watch-on-demand to catch up on shows at the end of the night!

1 Like

Just bring Roku/Firestick/etc. Yes, they want people out of the rooms and spending more money, and Chapek probably figures there’s not enough people at WDW that don’t already have D+, so not worth his trouble to advertise it there for more subscriptions, and just having it handy for all guests and their added satisfaction does not compute with him.

4 Likes

This is what we did. We watched, a couple of nights, some episodes of shows we were watching. Of course, the parks were closing pretty early then. Might not be as practical now with the later operating hours.

2 Likes

Just trying to figure out options for the afternoon swim/nap/break. And possibly early evenings if there are any.

I can recall on family trips as a kid just exploring American TV for shows we didn’t get in Toronto.
Heck in 2000, we had an unplanned resort day and I discovered this mesmerizing thing: classic Baseball games on TV. So I got to watch Sandy Koufax take the mound.

2 Likes

I think it’s a no-brainer that they should add it to the rooms. People are spending a lot to be at those hotels, so they’re not going to just stay there just to get a service they could pay $8 a month for at home. And it’s essentially free on a net basis for Disney to provide it, plus it’s like advertising for the service. Watch an episode of Mandalorian (or Hawkeye, etc.) on your vacation, then you have to go home and get a subscription to finish the show.

I suspect the only reason they haven’t yet is just the logistics of setting up a dedicated streaming subscription for the hotels.

6 Likes

I honestly am never in my room long enough to turn it to any station besides the one it autotunes to with the music and the hours

Of course I’m not much of a TV person anyway. If I’m home alone more often than not that thing is OFF. I can’t stand it as background noise.

1 Like

When disney was closing everything at 7PM, it would’ve been real friggin handy to have in the rooms.

Instead of watching the same 15 Mickey Mouse cartoons on repeat. Cause I didn’t want to leave the “bubble” but there was really nothing else other than the park-info channel.

Which, by the way, is it me or has that channel gotten REAL distorted in its sound and picture quality?

3 Likes

Hotel WIFI can be awful, though. I think it’s gotten passable in recent months, but if you put a load of people streaming on it…could be disastrous.

I couldn’t even stream youtube a few months ago.

2 Likes

I was surprised…we were able to stream at full quality at Boardwalk (at least on the DVC side) without issues. I was NOT expecting that, since my phone doesn’t seem like to like to stay connected to the Wifi.

I have a Firestick I travel with all the time! It worked on our Disney hotel TV without a hitch.

Ugh, don’t get me started. We watched the Loki finale from our Disney hotel room, pairing it to our cell phone to get decent enough service.

3 Likes

I know that Riviera has smart TVs in the rooms and we have watched Disney+ there.

2 Likes

This is true. We watched Luca every night our last trip as it had just released. So Riviera has them. We are staying in a Moana room at the Poly coming up in a couple of weeks and I would think they would also have them with the remodel. Can anyone confirm this?

1 Like

That reminds me, you can download the episode to your phone before leaving home (or just in the background while you’re getting ready or something) so that it is ready to play when you cast it to the TV. I believe there may be some apps that don’t like casting / plugging in to a TV when you use downloads, however. I did this for Luca, though (when I was at a cabin for a weekend) so I’m pretty sure it works for most / all Disney+ titles that can be downloaded.

1 Like

As long as the download “takes”

Which for me, neither Ep IX nor Solo did :frowning:

2 Likes

Sad! :frowning_face:

2 Likes

That’s a good question. That would have been a wise thing to do with the remodel.

1 Like

When we went to WDW in early 2020 I found articles saying D+ wasn’t available in the rooms because the TVs couldn’t receive a streaming channel. Newer resorts supposedly will have it and older resorts will get it as they remodel and replace TVs. Not sure what the current situation is.

1 Like