TTC and Ferry/monorail to MK. Iconic or a drag?

Include me in that group. I may have teared up a little the first time I saw that view of the Castle in the distance.

4 Likes

I’m going to weigh in with an alternative viewpoint with the caveat that it is based solely on visiting Fort Wilderness once to attend Hoop-de-Doo a few years back. We were staying off site and drove to Ft Wilderness and had to park in the lot. From there we took the resort bus which was a long and slow ride with many stops from the parking lot to the area near the lake where Hoop-de-doo was and where the boat dock also is. If you are trying to get into the MK I think time-wise you may be better off going to TTC and into MK for the day, then collecting your car later and driving straight to your campsite. Riding the internal bus and waiting for a boat ride to MK, and at the end of the day having to wait for the boat back and then ride the internal bus back to the lot to fetch your car might be a lot. Plus since you are there for a long stay you will presumably have opportunity to take the boat from FW another day. Either way, I hope you have a fantastic trip!!

2 Likes

I will second this post. The internal bus route from the front parking lot of FW to the back where the boat dock and Hoop-De-Doo take about 15-20 minutes.

3 Likes

I’m glad someone mentioned this from experience - I had heard about the internal shuttle from when I was looking into staying at the cabins, but wasn’t sure if the overflow lot referred to was near the ferry dock, so I didn’t say anything. This being the case, it sounds like TTC is the way to go.

2 Likes

Yeah, I knew the overflow lot was basically on the opposite side of the Fort from the boats. I’d heard that the internal buses ‘weren’t too bad’, but I don’t have personal experience obviously. It might be that the internal buses were nice in comparison to walking.

We do have 3 days for MK.

Now y’ll are swaying me to do the TTC the first day.

3 Likes

I know I will NEVER forget my first visit to MK and the approach by ferry from the TTC.

I love the monorail too but there really is something special about taking the ferry. I definitely think you should do at least one of those options for the first time and do the other one when you leave.

I assume you’ll have other days to take the boat from FW across the water bridge to MK.

4 Likes

A bit of data I forgot to mention. I am an early-bird, and while we are on vacation the family happily gets up whenever I say. (Not true at home) So, we can leave our hotel whenever I say we should. So, if we need to get up earlier to do the TTC route, we can.

1 Like

I find it interesting how many of you like the Ferry for the view of the castle. I guess I was unimpressed, because I can’t even imagine it. But I get giddy each time for the Monorail.

3 Likes

The monorail is also my favorite way to enter MK. On my one time visit to MK as a child, I was selected to ride up front and that view :heart_eyes:!!

3 Likes

There was a period of time where you could just ask to ride in the front with the driver. I’ve done it a few times. That view cannot be beat!

2 Likes

I absolutely adore the ferry to MK. It is my favorite. That being said, we have taken the boat from Ft Wilderness and I don’t find it to be terribly different. First thing in the morning, the bus to the boats isn’t bad, but as the day goes on it can be a pain. You can also rent a golf cart to get around Ft. Wilderness (which my kids love to do! Sometimes that is a solid activity- riding around the camp grounds in a golf cart LOL!) This lets you skip the busses if you have the $$$ to spare. There is a golf cart lot right next to the docks.

BUT, if this is your first time ever, I really want to tell you to go to TTC and ride the ferry. It is the most magical to me. My son would tell you, the monorail. He loves that thing and even has a working model of it in his room

3 Likes

Thanks for the insight on the internal buses. I’m not a huge fan of buses, so I looked into the golf carts. Woooweee, the price! We would be staying at the tent sites for the price, not because we have an RV. Well, and I really liked being in a ‘MK resort’ for cheap, and there is no question our other two MK days will be by boat. Golf cart might be worthwhile for a rest day if they allowed one-day rentals. I’m not there in planning yet.

I was just reminded of something. When DD was very young we went to the Children’s Aquarium and got lost walking there because they were setting up for the State Fair and there was walls blocking every path. Security came to tell us to leave and when he saw that I was too hot and tired to understand his directions, he drove us in his golf cart. DD was overjoyed that she got to “Ride in the Front Seat”. It was the highlight of that weekend. She talked about it for month. Maybe we need a golf cart for one day.

1 Like

There was a time when you could rent a golf cart from an outside vendor at a much more reasonable price. I haven’t needed to look into it in a while so I’m not sure it’s still a thing, but it might be worth checking out.,

1 Like

Maybe you’re like me and I turn into my 7 year old self. The Monorail, when I was kid, represented the future of transportation. It also why I love the People Mover.

1 Like

I had thought that maybe the image in my brain of “The train-ish-but-not-train That I Must DO” was the People Mover. So I googled it, and that wasn’t it. But, the People Mover was added to the list :slight_smile:

Now I am thinking that the iconic entrance sort goes along with having MK on the first day. Darkmite had that brilliant suggestion when I asked for park reservation suggestions.