TTC and Ferry/monorail to MK. Iconic or a drag?

This will be our first visit to Disney World. I am most interested in the Iconic things since I’ve wanted to go since I was a kid. Our arrival day, Saturday, we drive in and will rest. Then Sunday we will go to MK. Sunday night will be the first night we have a tent site. So, our choice is to drive to the MK lot, go to the TTC, and then take the Ferry/Monorail to MK. Or, we can drive to the campgrounds and park in the campgrounds overflow lot (since our site won’t be ready) and take the boat to MK.

I know that the park at the campgrounds and boat method will be quicker. But, will we miss out on an iconic thing that everyone should do once?

I am trying to remember the things I wanted to do when I was a kid. The only related image in my brain is a Disney monorail . My cruel parents knew I wanted to go to Disney, so they bought me books about Disney World. Like a book on the Jungle Cruise where you can make the animals move with the little tab sticking out.

2 Likes

How about park at the camp ground for convenience, but plan a loop on the monorail during your trip?

1 Like

So truly, the ferry from TTC to MK is how it was intended for guests to have that “big reveal” and approach to The Park. I suppose from that aspect it is an iconic experience.

That said, I can’t remember the last time I on purpose went to TTC to ferry over. I know I did it once but I think it was only because monorail was down.

3 Likes

We have a two-week trip and 10 day tickets. Every Wed and Sat are rest days. I thought one day we’d do a monorail tour. I have also been researching the resort character meals to do on rest days. That way we can have a relaxing character meal without missing park time. So, we might end up taking the monorail to one of those.

1 Like

For me, the Monorail is iconic, going through the Contemporary, etc. The ferry, I just feel like, hurry up and get there already.

But, we usually do both at some point during our stay. With the COVID barriers, the Monorail is a bit more annoying because you can’t see much unless you are lucky to get the window seats.

The ferry is very relaxing, but feels slower. They say it isn’t, but a few weeks back I watched as about 4 monorails went from TTC to MK in the time it took one ferry. So I think they say that to get more people on the ferry.

1 Like

Good News, they are gone

4 Likes

Oh. Awesome!

That’s almost like getting a heart!

4 Likes

I think the boat from the campground will provide an iconic enough reveal that it is somewhat similar to the ferry across. So I think it is fine to just take the easy route and do the small boat over and avoid the hassle.

I would at some point definitely try to ride the monorail - resort hopping on an off day would be a perfect time to do it. But I don’t think it needs to be your entry point on the first day at all…

1 Like

You guys are so helpful! Unless someone has a really good point to make about the advantages of doing TTC once, We will go to the campgrounds our first day.

For the first visit I think the ferry is iconic, the way the castle comes into view.

6 Likes

Agree with this, boat will give you that view.

Maybe on your monorail day take the ferry back to MK to get your boat to
The camp grounds. Then you can experience all of it.

So excited to here about your trip!! First visits are so magical.

1 Like

I like the ferry so much that instead of replying to this thread, I pulled up Youtube and watched a video of the ferry. OMG. So soothing. I love that ferry. I’m a little confused, though, because I couldn’t hear if there was music. I could swear there was a ferry trip with my little family back in 2000 that turned into a fiasco because “When You Wish Upon A Star” began to play on the sound system, I started crying, and my 6-year old DS began yelling at me to stop crying.

He has since apologized. Rather sincerely. Still, it comes up when we start reminiscing about trips to WDW.

Maybe it was… No, it had to be the ferry; it had to be a sound system; we didn’t have phones that played music at you back in 2000.

Anyway, Unpopular Opinion: The Ferry Is Iconic. :ferry:

6 Likes

Well…when I took the ferry a few weeks ago, I took it from MK back to TTC…but it was still early in the day, like 9:30ish. As a result, I had the entire ferry to myself. Now THAT was iconic! :slight_smile: (But, there was no music playing.)

7 Likes

I do think the ferry and monorail are iconic ways to get to MK. But I do not think the lines and crowds in the morning are iconic. I wish it was a little smoother.

And I also am probably in the minority when I say I wish the main parking lot was near where the Tron coaster is so you could just walk to the front gate instead of needing to transfer at the TTC.

5 Likes

I believe part of the reason it was done this was to control the rate at which the crowds arrive. You end up with a steady flow coming in instead if being crushed as you are at, say, HS. Despite the extra time, I think it makes sense doing it this way.

3 Likes

It was actually intentional for that castle-view reveal. Honest to goodness.

7 Likes

Yep. Hence why it is iconic.

4 Likes

That is awesome, and I would love to experience that! And now, of course, I can supply my own music with my handy-dandy pocket computer (a.k.a., smart phone). :smiley:

1 Like

That sounds amazing.

1 Like